Chapter 10

Sorry for the long wait!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!

*******************************************

The young lady before me in the mirror stares with a joyous smile across her pale pink lips. Her eyes shine with glory... In these many, merry months, I feel as if I am a whole new lady... now officially betrothed to the greatest King of all... Henry.

"My sister, the beautiful, most desired above all.... future Queen of England. " William bowed on one knee with a joyous smile upon his face. "I live to serve you."

Giggling, I took his velvet cap from his clutched hand and playfully hit him with it.

"Most desired...Hardly." I scoffed.

"Aye. You are sister." William said as he regained his composure. "The subject of your beauty has nearly gotten me in many quarrels. "

Flipping my long hair off my shoulder, I avoided William see me blush. I was now to be forever Henry's... no more being a flirting girl of the court.

"Hurry up Marie," William sighed, tapping his long fingers on his crossed arms. "The court has begun dining.Uncle cannot keep entertaining the Kings all alone."

I paled and felt a slow shiver run down my spine. "Kings? You mean Francis did not leave?"

William shook his head. "No... but not to worry... I believe Uncle has placed a nice, young Howard girl under his nose to leisure him."

"But is he dining with the King?" I asked.

"I wouldn't know." He shrugged. "Right after the ceremony I accompanied you here to your room."

I took a deep breath. To my knowledge Francis could only stay for the ceremony and then head back to France. He was not supposed to be at our celebratory feast.

I pinched my pale cheeks and bit my lower lip hard to add some color. "Better not keep them waiting." I pushed my golden headress back.

Before we entered the dining hall, I took yet another deep breath. Hopefully all will be well.

"Ready to go in?" William turned his head towards me.

"As I'll ever be..."

As we entered the hall, my eyes scanned the room. Ah no! There at the front of the great hall sat Henry, right beside Francis.

"Ah, my Marie!" The king bellowed joyously as I walked to him . "You are late to your own dinner... held in your honor."

I ignored the intense glare I could feel burn through the side of my face by Francis as I passed him without a glance.

"In our honor, your grace." I curtsied alongside William. I peeked up at Henry through my long lashes. "Have you already forgotten that you are now betrothed ?"

The King let out a loud, humorous laugh. All of the court smiled and laughed with him. He looked so young. Yet Francis looked as if he bit into a bitter lemon.

"How could I forget Mistress Marie? Why else would I be merrier? "

"I'm pleased to hear, your Grace," I raised an eyebrow. "For a moment I thought I was in yet another of my pleasant dreams."

A hungry, dark look took over the kings eyes. "What do you dream of that is pleasant ?"

I smiled shyly, "I've heard if I speak of my good dreams, then they will never come true." I joked.

A chuckle of laughter was heard amongst the court.

The king laughed. "Oh Marie! Forever young at heart. Come sit with me and enjoy your dream. "

I bowed my head and took my place between the King and my Uncle. Uncle gave a curt nod towards me and raised his glass. I nodded, acknowledging him.

In the middle of our dine, a musician of the court announced that he had written a piece of music for the King and I.

"Well begin." The King ushered the thin, anxious boy. The boy picked up his flute and began to play a joyous tune as his sister sang a song about an unexpected love. I couldn't help my blush.

As soon as the song ended the King and I stood up and applauded.

"Bravo." The King smiled then turned to me once everyone sat back down. "And if you do not object Marie, I'd love to share a dance with you."

"Always." I smiled and placed my hand in his.

He led me to the middle of the room where a large open space was for dancing. The King placed one strong hand on my waist and the other with my hand to the side.

Once the music began, the King began to sway me left to right and twirl me round. I felt as if I was on clouds with the way we danced.

It felt as if ages had passed once the song came to an end. Henry bowed then offered his hand to escort me back to my seat, but before he did, King Francis walked over to us.

"May I have the pleasure of one dance Mistress Marie." He bowed.

I glanced over at Henry, noticing his furrowed brow.

"King Francis." I shook my head. "Now that would not be to fair for young Bessie Howard over there sitting all alone.. Perhaps she would favor a dance."

"Unfortunately, mistress Bessie..... "

The sound of the door opening distracted me from hearing his explanation. I turned and saw my father.

"Father." I whispered before I grabbed the sides of my dress and ran over to him. My father smiled as he hugged me tightly.

"I thought you were to be gone for another three months father."

"I sent for him." The King said as he walked up behind me. "My gift to you on this day."

My heart melted. He sent for my father miles away, just to please me.

"It is the best gift anyone has ever given me." I smiled as I grabbed the kings hands and kissed his ring. "I thank you."

The festivities carried on through the rest of the night. I stayed by my father and Henry until I saw Alice call me over from afar.

Excusing myself, I made my way out of the room.

"What is it?" I asked her once we were alone in the dark, fire lighted hall.

Alice smiled before she screeched happily, "I am to be married to a Duke!"

"My best wishes." I hugged her tightly, truly happy for her. "Who is this lucky little devil?"

"My mother won't say, but the King has arranged it with my father!" She said. "I am to meet him in the next coming week."

"I am truly thrilled for you."

Alice soon had to rejoin her mother leaving me to my thoughts that were shortly soon interrupted.

"Why do you ignore me so?" I heard his cool voice ask me, making my heart drop.