Chapter 2

As I was slipping into my French-style, blue, velvety, dress with pearls on the square trimming, my brother William walked in with a smile on his handsome face.

He was one of the courts most handsome and most charming courtiers. His dark brown locks were the same as his flirtacious eyes and his honey face was smooth and round like a babys.

"You look beautiful as always Marie." William smiled again spinning me around.

"You're happy this day." I smiled.

"Of course. The Queen has passed at the right time as you have come back. Everyone is wondering what you look like. Including the King himself!" William said excitedly.

"Really William?" I said shocked.

"Oh yes. I have told him all about you. The Boleyns and the Seymours don't stand a chance." William said.

"What are they saying?" I said referring to the Boleyns and Howards.

"Gossip and talk is all." William said. I put my head down. "Oh no need to worry. King Henry has had both the Boleyns and the Seymour girls. Anne is your only competition really. I must warn you though. . . She is rather fierce. She has a way with men. I myself am a hopeless victim to her little ways." William chuckled.

"Is she as bad as I hear?" I asked wondering as I walked over to the window.

"Sadly yes. She has a power over the King. That is where you come in." William said walking over to where I was and putting his hands on my shoulders.

"Better not keep them waiting." I said turning around facing him.

"You'll be fine." William smiled, kissing my forehead. "I have to go. The King is waiting for me." William said walking to the door. " I'll see you at feasting."

He closed the door behind him.

I put on my matching blue, velvet, pearled French hood over my waist-long, dark brown, straight hair. I pinched my cheeks to give my milky white skin a touch of color and did the same with my full lips.

I walked out of my room, through our apartments, into the halls, making my way to Mass. I held my head up high as if I owned the court. Every gentleman greeted me with a smile and a wink of the eye. As I walked by women, they looked at me as if they saw a bear right in front of them. They turned to eachother and whispered amongst themselves.

When I walked into Mass, every family, monarch, lady, gentleman, kings men and the King himself were there in honor of the passed Queen. The whole court did not and could not miss this.

As I was walking to take a seat next to Mother, all the court's eyes were on me. I believed they knew who I was. I dressed like a French woman, and I looked different than all the other women at court, yet I was all English inside. I sat and I caught the eye of my brother. He smiled and nodded his head once in approval. Then the King looked at me. He was just as handsome as everyone says. He had dark brown hair, matching eyes, honey kissed skin, and a short beard.He was athletic as well.

He smiled and I smiled back and gracefully looked away from him. I could feel his eyes watching me the entire time.

_________________________________________________________________

There was so much food at the feast. Roasted veal rabbit, pig, goose, manchet, apricots and French wine. There were four long, huge, wood tables where all the court was. The King and his men sat at their own table, overlooking everyone.

I decided to sit next to a handsome familiar face. James Piers, a Page for Thomas Wosley.

"Hello." I smiled as I sat next to him.

"Hello. I would hug you right now but Wosley is watching me." James slightly groaned.

"I can see." I chuckled as I gave a glace to Wosley.

"You are the subject on everyones mind." James smiled.

"Look how they all stare."

I smiled at that but didn't bother to look around. I could feel all their eyes.

"How's court life?" I asked taking a piece of the delicious manchet.

"I'm not one for court life. I hate flirting with all these snooty women. I prefer life in the country." James said scratching his head.

"I would never know. I've lived in courts all my life." I said.

"One day I'll take you to my land in Hever. I own a piece there." James lightly smiled.

"I'll be an old maid by then." I joked, throwing my head back.

Our whole table laughed at that. I didn't know they were listening. I decided to take the opportunity and show my coutier ways.

I was making everyone at the laugh. I was quite the charmer as James told me. We were all laughing so hard and having a good time, the king interrupted us.

"What's the ruckus?" He said loudly. His voice sent shivers down my spine.

The whole court quieted down and looked at our table.

James stood up to explain.

"Mistress Howard, your grace. She's telling her stories of court life in France and Spain." James said.

"A Howard? I've heard of only one this whole week. She's quite the mystery isn't she? Well Mistress Howard. . . Show yourself." He said with a little smile appearing on his face.

James looked at me as I stood up and curtsied.

"Well well. Here's the mystery Howard girl." The king smiled as he sat back in his seat.

"My lord." I said looking him in his dark eyes.

"You are the talk of the court. I've heard much about you." He said.

"Good things I should hope." I smiled flirtaciously.

The court all shared a quiet laugh.

"Wonderful things. Though your beauty and youth were under exagerrated in all this talk." He smiled. "I would say the men here are trying to keep you for themselves."

"You are the greatest man in all of England. You have qualities that many men lack or can't even achieve." I smiled.

"Like?" He smiled as he sipped the wine from his golden cup.

"Strength, power, generousity, humility, and of course, little things I hear and cannot say." I blushed crimson red.

"These are qualities you look for in a suitor?" He grinned widely.

"Try to. Yet only you possess such qualities." I smiled.

He stayed quiet at that and could only smile.

"Welcome to court." He said raising his cup.

I bowed lightly and resumed back to my seat.