When Love Runs Red:: Chapter Four

Copyright © 2011: Letitia Van Herck. All Rights Reserved.

                                              When Love Runs Red

                                                    Chapter Four

Charlotte had never know sleep to be peaceful. All her life she had been tirantly haunted and pursued by nightmares and dreams the sane would find most shocking. Nightmares of wild howling, and fangs and blood; of death and despair and raging fires. They had once roused her from her sleep, tears streaming from her eyes; her body hot and sweaty-much like her manors cooks had often been. Or she had dreamt of weird creatures with wings and flying high and higher. Now however her sleep was so peaceful, so blank and yet so wonderful.

            She was a little bit more than disappointed when she woke from her sleep. She swept a hand across her face; pushing back long tangled strands of hair. She frowned as she stared up at a endless dark brown ceiling that seemed to arch upwards towards the sky. She blinked a few times before trying to sit up. She was confused, groggy, and she had the odd sense she was somewhere else. Somewhere other than home.

            She, instead, was in a small plainly furnished room. Everything was made of the same reddish wood, all practical but still comfortable much like her fathers old study had once been. She found it beautiful though in a sad sense. Everything was strong and hand carved from the finest of oak or perhaps it was pine she had never been very knowledgable of her woods. Furhtermore even the bed she lay on was strong and coated in thick plush blankets. There were large windows covered in red velvet curtains-which were closed probably for her benefit. She ran her hands across the soft white blanket on top of her and tried to figure out or at least remember where she could be. Yet her mind couldn't process much. She was confused. And at that moment alone.

            With another frown she turned so she dangled off the side of the bed. She felt awfully hazy, very light headed. As though she could fly. She laughed despite herself. Everything just felt so wonderful even in the confusion. She looked down at herself and normally would have blushed. She was dressed in a vest and bloomers; showing quite a large amount of skin. She didn't mind at that moment though. She wanted to get up and explore; to go on a treasure hunt. No one would yell at her, this was a dream after all. It had to be a dream. It was the only solution. She rose off the bed but as her feet hit the floor pain shot through her leg. With a wail she tumbled to the floor whimpering.

            Clutching her leg she wondered how it was possible to feel pain when in a dream. She must have yelled loudly though, for the door slammed open and wearing a worried look was a strong and simply stunning man. Thats when her hazy fog seemed to clear. Memories slammed into her in a painful almost icy blast. This wasn't a dream. It wasn't wonderful. She was somewhere, in a strange world and she had been attacked. Horribly attacked and then saved. Yes, saved by the stunning man in the doorway. The stunning man in a nothing but trousers and a long worn trench coat. Charlotte gawped rather than stared, she should have been outraged at the lack of clothes but she found it made her blush instead. She frowned again.

           Her gaze returned to her leg and she pouted in annoyance. It was throbbing all painful and sore. The man walked up to her then, and knelt before her. He gave her a measuring glance before touching her leg. A shiver rippled through her from his touch, but she hid it well. She gritted her teeth as he ran his hand directly over her wound. She didn't like the pain. Hated it in fact and was all bet begging for it to stop.