When Love Runs Red:: Chapter Eighteen

Copyright © 2012: Letitia Van Herck. All Rights Reserved.

                                      When Love Runs Red

                                        Chapter Eighteen

Days had gone by since Charlotte and Dante’s mishap and neither had seen much of the other. At first Charlotte had not minded, finding her time away from the brutish solider and ambassador rather peaceful. She too had found that she had not once been rendered unconscious. However as time had proceeded she had begun to miss his presence. Despite his wild tempered outburst and tendency to hinder all emotion there was something in the way he held himself that made her crave his company – like it was the very air she breathed. She too felt oddly safe with him. 

          Another pressing issue, however, had been forced upon Charlotte: The ball. Charlotte had always found balls to be stiflingly uncomfortable – even back home. The prospect of smiling and waving and being forced to tolerate men’s prudish attempts of flattery was all rather terrible in Charlotte’s opinion. She very much hoped things would be different here.

          Charlotte had spent the days not only learning more about vampire conduct, but also preparing her own self for the ball. Though she had not personally seen the Queen again, proper attire had been requested for her. Education in manners hadn’t needed to be taught – much to her dismay – as her mothers tiring rambles about what a ‘Lady must do’ tumbled through her mind. For the most part it was simply to smile and wave along with addressing everyone in the correct fashion. Most importantly, however, it was to never show displeasure – for it was considered a great insult to do so.

         The ball itself was to be held tomorrow at the prompt time of 6pm – no sooner, no later. It was safe to presume Charlotte held an inkling of nervousness and she too wondered if the vampires in attendance would notice her ‘otherness’.

         With a suppressed sigh Charlotte rest back against the smooth bathtub, gently running the wash clothe across her skin - removing all dirt. Her hair bound up again, tightly on her head in a messy bun she had at first revelled in the comfort the warm water had given her. However over time the cold had started to chill the water and her bones. Her maid – Primrose – stood near by, towels resting in her arms. For the last few days the young girl had begun to grow indifferent with Charlotte; simply answering in very curt, shortened sentences not within her normal nature.

           Raising her hand Charlotte signalled for her to approach, just as small goose bumps had formed against her pale skin. The cold was slowly becoming overbearing and sank through her skin till it made her very bones ache. Rising gently from the tub, she waited for Primrose to advance before she was assisted out of the tub and a towel was wrapped around her. It was soft against her skin, an odd comfort in what was growing to be dark days.

         Outside rain poured tapping like an excessive drumming against the windowpane. It indeed was dreadfully grim weather. Charlotte stood in silence as Primrose proceeded to dry her and then dressing her. Gaze lingering to the window she began to watch the rainfall like tiny tears and found her mind wondering to home. She had started to grow dreadfully homesick.

         The sight of the sun – a brilliant glowing orb – had surely become a distinct memory. She found herself longing for the gentle warmth against her skin – though England itself held very little in the way of sunshine. Though the moon held a shining brilliance the sun could not achieve and too was highly interesting, it didn’t hold the same comfort the sun had.

         A soft sigh escaped her lips as Primrose continued to dress her. Once the corset, bloomers and petticoat was on it was simply left for a light golden dress to be slipped on next. Charlotte had an arranged dinner with the Queen tonight – a treat some would consider. It had been a while since her last meeting with the Queen and so much had seemed to change since then. Not only had Dante almost died but also Charlotte’s mood had soured considerably. However she wouldn’t show her differ in mood in case it was perceived as an insult.