Chapter 22 - Battle of the Queen Bees

Start from the beginning

Teaghan nodded and Robin's bracelets jingle-jangled as she made circular motions around the table. 'Are you guys are okay with Veurve?' She looked at me and Penny before adding, 'Don't worry, it's on me.'

Right, the gloves were off. The next bottle of Veurve would be on me. I'd buy the whole damn table lobsters, caviar and a round of cocktails that cost $30 each if I had to.

'Sammy sweetie, I'm so glad you got in touch', Robin continued, not waiting for our reply. 'I was worried that you hated me after what happened all those years ago at the play. Can you ever forgive me?'

'I like to call it Nipplegate 1998,' I quipped. The three women laughed and played with their hair – Teaghan flipped, Lauren curled strands around her finger and Robin tousled to keep the volume up.

'Well, are you still angry about Nipplegate 1998?' pressed Robin. 'Please don't be. I would just die if you were.'

'It was a million years ago,' I replied. I wasn't going to give Robin the satisfaction of telling her I'd forgiven her. Besides, she hadn't actually said sorry. 'I'm more interested in what you guys are up to now.'

'Well!' Robin beamed and smacked the table with her hand. I noticed an enormous diamond ring glinting on her engagement finger. 'Very exciting things are happening with me. I'm turning the fashion boutique I own in Woollahra into a franchise! Two more stores are opening up in Lane Cove and Bronte.'

I was impressed. I'd often fantasised about running a boutique and Robin had actually done it.

'That's great.' I was grateful to see that an ice bucket with the neck of a champagne bottle sticking out of it was coming towards us.

'It's been so exhausting.' Robin filled our glasses. 'I mean, I've worked so hard, you know? And now the fruit of my labour is finally blossoming. It's like I'm having two more babies!'

'Well, take it from me, having two babies is nothing to joke about,' interjected Teaghan, patting her belly.

'Mmm,' I murmured as my champagne stung and warmed the back of my throat.

'I wasn't joking honey, it really does feel like I'm having two more babies,' said Robin, her eyes wide and her hand splayed across her chest. 'You've just been out of the workforce too long to remember how hard it all is.'

Teaghan took a long sip of her mock-tail. Well, well, well, trouble in paradise?

To my surprise, Penny found her voice. 'I don't know what it's like to run a business, but to be fair, I know a lot of mums taking time out from work who swear that staying at home to take care of a baby is just as hard, if not harder than work.'

Robin's smiling head turned slowly towards Penny. I half expected it to do a 360, like in The Exorcist.

'Well Penny, obviously you haven't had children,' said Robin. 'What is it that you do?'

'I'm a visual designer for Smith Bank.' She jutted her chin out. I always told her that it made her look confident. Good girl.

'That's cool!' exclaimed Lauren.

Robin looked perplexed and vaguely annoyed. 'What does a visual designer do exactly?'

Penny opened her mouth to speak but Robin kept right on talking.

'I mean, I know what they do – I'm not stupid – but, I mean, how hard is it to design a logo, right? No offence, Penny. I'm sure you know how to design a logo.'

Penny's eyes widened and she folded her arms – her body language told me she was gearing up to defend herself.

'Take the designer I used for my boutique's website,' continued Robin. 'He kept trying to give me his opinion when I didn't ask for it. And after telling him to redo his mock up about a million times, I had to take his best design, fire him, and have someone else finish it the way I wanted. Then he actually had the nerve to demand payment for his time? He didn't deliver a design I liked – there was no way I was going to pay him.' She laughed and took a demure sip of champagne.