Chapter 37: Precious Ruby

Dave | 2 months later

The tour ended about a month ago, so I've just been in New York..alone. Bernice went to Los Angeles pretty much right when we got back to work on building her brand. She was working on her sleepwear line and I was working on my music. It's been weird and lonely without Bernice because we've been inseparable since we came back into each other's lives again.

I was at the studio vibing to a beat trying to think of a concept for the song when my phone started ringing. I paused the beat picking my phone up to see Bernice was facetiming me. I answered smiling, "What's up, baby?"

"I miss you!" She said pouting. "I can't stay here any longer. They're driving me nuts!" She said lowering her voice. She has been staying with her old friend Blac Chyna. When she says 'they're' I'm pretty sure she's referring to her and her son.

I chuckled. "You'll be home in a week. I'm sure you can stick it out."

"Hopefully. Oh, and I talked to my dad. He wants me to come to Jamaica to visit him. I think I am. I can meet him and also reward myself with a vacation."

"So, what are you trying to say? You're going to be away even longer?" I said raising my eyebrow.

"If you would've let me finish I was going to ask for you to come with me."

"Oh, my fault. I don't know though...I have to work on this music. Def Jam-"

She cut me off rolling her eyes. "Dave, you need a break. You've been working your ass off since you put Hate Me Now out. Def Jam can wait. You're coming with me. I want you to meet my dad with me. I can't go without you."

I thought for a second then I got an idea. "Alright, I'll go."

She smiled saying, "Yay! You really didn't have a choice because I booked the tickets this morning. I'll be back in NY in a couple of days then we're on our way to Jamaica." She threw her hand up screaming excitedly.

"Ay, chill out! My damn ears."

"Sorry, baby. Well I have to go but I'll call you later on tonight. I love you."

"Aiight, I love you too." We hung up at that. I sat my phone down looking at my notepad filled with lyrics. I picked my pen up tapping it only to put it back down and pick my phone back up. I called my mother.

She finally answered saying. "Look who came out of hiding! David, right?"

I laughed. "I'm sorry for being MIA, ma. I've just been working on this music. Can you come with me somewhere later?" I looked down at my AP watch, "In 2 hours or so?"

"Where?"

"You'll see!" I said smiling just thinking about it.

"Fine, I'll see you later then boy."

"Alright. Love you, Ma!"

"Love you too." I hung up then went to my messages making a groupchat with Toya and Brittany texting them.

Me: What are y'all doing later? I have somewhere I need you 2 to accompany me to. I need you guises input😇

Britt👹: I was going to be sleeping. Is it worth my time to go?

Toya👽: That's exactly what I was thinking lol

Me: Very worth it😉 Meet me in the city at 3. Please and thank you! I'll text the exact address later.

I put my phone down sighing. I had one hour until my time was up in the studio.

---

After I finished up in the studio I left going to Harlem to pick my mother up. I drove us back to the city going to Park Avenue. I found a spot then parked feeding the parking meter then getting back in the car. "What are we waiting on?" My mother asked me looking around.