Chapter 6: Deflowered

Dave

Since I was gonna be in NY for awhile I needed to bond with my nieces and nephews. They didn't have school this Monday so I decided to take them out. I took them to the mall, toys-r-us and now McDonald's. I ordered their food then they ate it. After that they went to the play area leaving me at the table alone. I was on my phone when I heard, "Keep running! You won't be satisfied until you bust your damn head open!" That voice and Detroit accent was familiar, so I looked up. Sure enough it was her. My ex, Keyshia. I put my head down quickly hoping she wouldn't notice me.

Keyshia and I dated from 15 until I was 19 on and off. I loved her with all of me. My first. I probably would've married her if we had stayed together until she got pregnant with my child and got an abortion without consulting with me. I wasn't an asshole, I was gonna take care of my responsibilities.

"Dave? David Brewster? Is that you?!" I grunted then looked up. She looked exactly the same.

"Hey, Keyshia."

"How have you been? I heard you're rapping now."

"Yeah, I am. I heard you are too" she nodded her head. In my opinion she wasn't that good, but you can't knock somebodies dream.

"Those your kids?" She asked pointing to my 2 nieces and 2 nephews playing in the play area. I know damn she didn't think I had 4 kids already.

"No, my two sister's kids. That you?" I asked pointing to the little boy.

She smiled, "Yup my son, Kameron."

I looked at him playing suspiciously then asked, "How old is he?"

"Eight." I did the math. 19+8 is 27, which is my current age.

"Wait, is he mine?"

"No. I guess it's time I told you the truth." She sat down without being invited to. "David, when I got pregnant at 19 and said I got an abortion, I lied. I didn't."

"So he is mine?"

"No. I lied about getting an abortion because I knew he wasn't yours. I cheated and ended up pregnant. I knew once I told you I got an abortion you'd be done with me because I know what type of guy you are. I'm sorry for lying."

I ignored her apology, "How do you know for sure I'm not the father?" I asked looking at the boy while he was playing again.

"I had his dad take a DNA test when he was born. He's the father. Again, I'm sorry, David." She got up from the table leaving.

All this time here I was thinking about the child I never had only to be told it was a lie. My perception of love has always been screwed up since me and her broke up, but it's even more now. I pushed women away in fear of getting hurt. Since her and a couple of other chicks I didn't want to fall in love. That's why I fucked chicks with no strings attached, but you can't do that forever. I'm 27 and at my age people were falling in love, getting married and having kids. I wanted that too deep down inside. I can't keep running and hiding from love, but I'm hopeless when it comes to love.

Bernice | 6pm

After work I went straight home. I was tired of riding the bus or the train and I needed a car asap. My next goal. I was putting the code into my condo building when a voice yelled, "Bernice!" I jumped. I wasn't gonna lie ever since I set Richard up a year ago I was paranoid and I've had a bad feeling all day. I turned around to see David coming from his car. "Did I scare you?" My hands were shaking a little and he grabbed it. "I guess I did, I'm sorry" I nodded sighing deeply. I let us in then we went up to my condo.

"What are you doing here?" I said throwing my keys down. As Dave sat on the couch turning the tv on while I took my Manolo heels off.

"Needed to talk to you, so here I am" he was laying on the couch. I sat on the arm of that same couch until he lifted up and pulled me onto it putting his head on my lap. "Guess who I saw today? Keyshia."