Ula didn't look convinced at all, and before she could retaliate, another one answered on her behalf: "He maybe is a good kid and Halina did raise him well. But that doesn't make him being here any less wrong"

It was odd to see people speaking on my behalf and it did make me feel more... alive. But even those who usually conveyed their opinion of me with sharp looks only, they were now voicing their hatred towards me. And that really scared me.

I tried to take a step back only to notice that there were Aellas behind me too. They were participating in the argument that wasn't ceasing at all, but none of them even thought about asking what I wanted or what I felt.

Maybe that was a good thing that they didn't care to notice me even when I was right there among them.

Heavy hands fell on my shoulders and grabbed them, and I knew exactly who it was so I didn't even dare look behind me.

"The situation with his birth is now known to all. Dilara did not mate outside the Agape, she only mated with the same Aello more than three times in a row. She hid the truth to keep her son alive, and Halina gave up her title for the same reason. His father is paying for his mistake by risking his own life as we speak."

Ula glared past me: "You shouldn't be on his side, Drita. You're a proud hunter-"

"So is his father!"

"That is not the issue here!!"

Then Halina fought back again: "Then what IS the issue? What is it that you're exactly after here because I am sick of the way you are treating my child!"

"He's not your child! He's the fruit of a sin and he'll be the downfall of this tribe if we don't act now!"

"That is pure nonsense!! He has done nothing to harm anyone!"

"He is not welcome here anymore and the fact that the Aellos know about him makes him even more poisonous to our clan! What will they say, that we keep and Aello among us? That we are breaking our laws and making exceptions??"

"What do you want me to do Ula? Do you want me to throw my own son away?!"

"WE ALL DID! Why do you get to keep your son and watch him grow! We all followed the laws of our clan despite the pain that it brought to our hearts, while you cling onto him like he's better than our own children. The children we were blessed with out of love, not cursed with out of sin!"

Some of the Aellas started looking at each other, even the silent ones were now standing by Ula and saying that she was right.

"Ula," Sosanbra's voice was finally heard, "that's enough"

"Not this time, Leader. The Aello needs to leave this mountain right away"

I felt the dread and fear fill my heart. I tried to step away wishing I could hide, but Drita's grip tightened on my shoulders, making my heart beat like drums and my body freeze.

The forest...

At night......

I couldn't even find my way during the day, how am I supposed to stay alive in it alone at night!!

As beautiful and lively as it was, the dark forest scared me. Even Ithel told me not to get out of the den at night without telling him. He said he would keep me safe...

"It's ok, Ceri. I'll protect you" Drita whispered in my ear. But somehow, her attempt of reassurance only made me more fearful.

Ithel...

I want my Ithel...

Halina stepped forward to try and get Sosanbra's attention: "At last, my child has found his father and the truth was revealed, yet you still want to kill him??? His father is not back from Saeva yet! I will not give him to the care of anyone but Alev and he can't live in the forest by himself! This is craziness!!!"

"Hold your tongue, Elder!"

When Ula went to approach Halina dangerously, Rhonwen stepped between them: "Aella Ula, you are not being respectful to our Leader!"

I remembered Sosanbra and turned to find her looking at the scene before her almost without any interest, but I could see the cold glare in her eyes.

Ula snickered and stepped back, looking back and forth between Drita and Rhonwen: "Another Aella hunter standing by that mutt. Do you see where the lack of decisiveness has gotten us, Leader? We have hunters choosing sides and standing against other Aellas!!!"

Rhonwen straightened her back, then she put her hand over her weapon that was tied to her side and took a threatening step towards the old Aella, making most of the others step back: "Foolish Aella, you are being rude to an Elder, and now you're accusing us, the hunters who feed you and your children?"

Everyone watched with disbelief as a couple other hunters stepped forward, not to defend me, but to the rescue of their friend.

"ENOUGH." Sosanbra yelled, causing everyone to lower their heads in obeisance except the hunters, " The boy will remain here until his father returns to claim him"

"What if he's dead? No one comes back from Suva!", one of the aisles who clearly sided with Ula asked

"Then we give him to the Aellos and let them deal with him. This matter is closed. I don't want to hear about it again until the Aellos call their claim".

~~~~~~

I spread my old dear skin on the ground beside the entrance of the cave. I sighed heavily, and then I lay on my back and watched the stars. Suddenly a weight fell on my chest, I jerked, but then smiled at the little Vreis who was hugging me.

"Hey little one. Shouldn't you be asleep by now?"

Epona came into view with her famous 'You can't say no to me' pose with her hand on her cocked hip: "Mama says we can sleep with you tonight. Under the stars"

She put her and her brother's beds right beside me and started pointing at the stars and imagining stories about them.

Suddenly my situation felt slightly better. When Rhowen told Halina that it was better if I didn't spend the night with the Aellas in the same cave anymore, I felt like I was being punished for no reason at all. Of course Halina objected, but when I saw the irritated looks some of the Aellas were giving her, I 'volunteered' to sleep outside.

At first I wanted to curl into a tight ball and cry. But now, hearing Vreis and Epona's giggles, I couldn't help but smile.