There was no way around it though, if I didn't keep my scent hidden then I'd lose. This was not a game I was about to lose. The stakes were far too high.

Even if it drained all my energy, my scent had to be hidden.

You got this Nina, just keep your head down and blend in. I told myself hoping the encouragement would make things easier.

With the diner in my line of sight, I kept my eyes focused on it. My mates energy was slowly growing further away from me, which meant I was going the right way. He and his men were probably near the tree line waiting to ambush me. Unfortunately for them, I was on the other side of town.

I knew backtracking was the right move, I mentally high-fived myself.

My wolf; however, was still not happy with me.

That was a matter I'd have to deal with once I made it back home and had the mental power to do so.

Her not being happy with me wasn't even the proper way to explain the harsh emotions that rolled off her. She was furious, and I totally understood why. But even knowing that she would react like this wouldn't change my mind about what I did. I'd do it all over again if I had to. I was protecting us.

You're protecting no one other than yourself, Lyra snarled at me.

You know I'm doing this for both of us, I assured her.

She laughed bitterly at my remark. The only thing you're doing is hurting us.

That's not true Lyra. He would hurt us, I'm protecting us.

You don't even know him. You can't pass judgment before you meet someone. You can't assume every mate is evil just because you've seen the worst.

I shook my head. I can because there are 60 pack members back home that can tell you the same exact thing I am right now. Mates are no good.

YOU DON'T KNOW OUR MATE, she screamed.

And we never will, I said firmly.

Lyra didn't make an effort to say another word after that. Fury consumed her, and it hurt me deeply. I had to hold back my tears as I continued to walk.

After I had backtracked completely and was past the diner, I picked up more speed. I wasn't running to my full capacity, because that would draw more attention to me. There weren't many people on this side of town, but I couldn't take the risk.

The problem I had now was getting to the next town without raising some suspicion. There was a lot of unknowns about my current predicament, and that bothered me. Although I knew who was following me, I didn't know who he really was. Sure he was my mate, but what was his name? I had no idea who he was, what pack he was from or what kind of training he had. For all I knew there could be dozens of werewolves surrounding the city.

For my sake, I hope that wasn't true.

This side of town wasn't rich with trees, it was practically bare to be honest. If I just walked to the next town that would look strange and I didn't like the idea of me being out in the open. Especially with that close call. My mate would be on high alert, his men as well.

Shit, I cursed. I started racking my brain for more ideas and came up empty handed.

I was screwed.

Royally screwed.

Just as I thought that all hope was completely lost, my silent prayers were answered. As if sent by some miracle a bus pulled over to a stop near the diner. A bus that just so happened to travel between cities.