Chapter 30

Krist and Shelli spontaneously decided to get married at a county clerk's office in downtown Los Angeles that June. They didn't want to have a big thing just yet. They wanted to have a real wedding when they really can. Personally that didn't make sense to me, but hey it isn't my life.

They did, however, have a real honeymoon. They rented a place in Manhattan and were to spend a week there. That would leave Kurt, Chad, and I alone in the big city.

----

Since we had nothing better to do, we looked into concerts at clubs outside of the city. We managed to come up with a list of small bands we'd heard of before that were holding concerts we wanted to attend.

"Hey you guys have been to a Hole concert right?" Chad asked from behind his newspaper.

"Yeah." I said.

"Were they any good?"

Kurt perked up. "I thought they were great."

"They were alright." I said. In truth, I liked there music. It's just what happened last time with Kurt that I didn't like.

"I want to see them. You wanna come with?" Chad asked. Kurt nodded. I agreed to go just to see what Kurt would do.

On Saturday night, the three of us made our way to a club in a town I've never heard of before. There must have been only 60 people there but the energy was high. Hole held very powerful performances.

Just as before, the band filed out onto the stage one by one, Courtney last. I couldn't help but notice her outfit. It was very short and very revealing. Her dress would probably split if she bent down.

When they started playing, Chad got the same look Kurt did when he first saw her. Maybe this wasn't uncommon for guys? Chad bounced around with the crowd while Kurt nodded his head to the music. His stare wasn't as intent as before. I think I really was exaggerating last time.

Five songs into the set, Eric - the guitarist- became very dizzy and had to sit out.

"Fuck! We need another guitarist. Anyone play? Preferably a woman?" Courtney held her hand to her forehead to block out the light. She scanned the crowd and stopped when she saw me. Her eyes went wide and she smiled.

"Allison! Small world, huh? You play?" I shook my head but both Kurt and Chad nodded excitedly and nudged me forward.

"Well get up here!" I walked up to the stage. A few people clapped.

"Guys, this is my friend Allison. Isn't she sexy?" A man whistled in the back.

"Hey!" Kurt yelled.

"Right she's taken, ha fuckers!" Then she turned to me and handed me sheets of chords and cues. "Just follows them, they're pretty easy."

Then before I knew it, I was playing for Hole in front of 60 people. It was fun but extremely nerve-wracking. I only played 3 songs though.

When the show was over, the club emptied out. Kurt went up to retrieve me while Chad hung outside with a girl he just met.

"Damn, Ally, you rocked." Kurt said as he hugged me.

Courtney came up to us. "Didn't she? You're going to have a family of rockstars." She put her hand on Kurt's shoulder and that look crept up to his face again.

After a few minutes, they walked outside to discussing record labels. I stayed inside with the band. They admitted to being unsure if me when I walked up to the stage but thought I did well for never having preformed for an audience. They liked me.

Suddenly I heard commotion outside and saw flashing lights. I stepped out to see two paparazzi guys snapping photos of Kurt and Courtney. Courtney stood very close to him as she had her arms wrapped around one of his. When the flash began to go off, they ran back inside and shut the doors.

"What the fuck was that?" Kurt asked.

"Those press leeches. You get a lot of them out here. I know that's not the case in Washington."

"Really?" Kurt was incredulous. "Well we just moved out here."

"Better get used to that then." She released him from her grip and turned around to find me standing behind them. She smiled sweetly and went back to her band.

"That was crazy." Kurt chuckled. He looked over at me but I was staring at the floor. I couldn't believe how they were acting.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Why were you and Courtney so... close?"

"I don't know. The dudes startled her, she was probably cowering behind me."

"Didn't look like it." I said quietly.

Kurt out his hands on my shoulders. "Are you jealous? You don't have to me, trust me."

I sighed. "I'm not jealous."

We went back outside to the car. Chad was in there with that same girl he met earlier. They were making out in the back seat.

"Chad! Don't do that in my car!" Kurt yelled. Chad smiled sheepishly and opened the door for the girl to get out. She blushed as she met Kurt's eyes.

"He was kidding." I assure her.

"Call me, Chad!" She said as she walked away. Chad smirked and held up a small piece of paper. We got in the car and Kurt pulled out of the parking lot.

"Those photos are going to be all over the place tomorrow." I said.

Kurt side-eyed me. "Nobody knows who were are. The only reason they were out the was because Hole is big around here. It'll probably only be mentioned in some underground magazine."

Kurt was partly right. The next morning he and Courtney were featured in an alternative magazine. But they weren't just "mentioned". They were on the front cover.

"Grunge Apprentices Courtney Love And Kurt Cobain Spotted Together" was the headline. In the photo they seemed totally aware that their photo was being taken. It annoyed me. I bought the magazine and brought it home to show to Kurt.

"Wow." he laughed.

"You should clear things up with them." I insisted.

"You're right." He called the magazine and told them the story wasn't true and to drop it. They agreed reluctantly.

I'll admit it, I was jealous.