Episode 36: Rallying the Bold

"I have, unfortunately. Do you ever worry the Pruessians will move closer to Highveld?"

"I don't worry about things which haven't happened yet," she said. "It's my life's purpose to heal the afflicted. I'll fight the Kaezer's tyranny on every front he presents, even if he arrives at our doorstep. Anyway, call me if you have any more questions about the ceremony. I love you, my sweet son."

I wandered downstairs for some coffee before class, hunched over the table with both hands clasped around my steaming mug. Working skyclad was nothing new to me. I'd done so before with Mother, but it might raise some modesty concerns with my friend. Either way, Mother was right. Having another's intent to bolster the circle would be invaluable.

The afternoon passed quickly. I finished my homework early, and walked to the dining hall when dinner hour arrived. Cheers, whistles, and the smell of roasted chicken poured out of the door as I opened it. A large crowd sat before the central holo-display. An oversized image of hockey players clashed in determined fury, flickering in air before rapt faces.

Tamsin sat at her usual table, several girlfriends surrounding her. I looked at her for the briefest second, scratching the left side of my jaw with two fingers--a clandestine gesture for hello we'd established between us. She replied with a nonchalant flip of her hair, her secret acknowledgment. It was the most we could get away with among such a crowd.

I was pleased to see Vance sitting far from her. He never glanced in my direction, attention glued to the game. Perhaps he'd stay out of my way, despite Tamsin's warning that he suspected us.

My own friends greeted me with fond grins. Gerald and Marie scooted aside to make room for me, their arms draped around each other.

"There you are," Chester said. "The game's just started, and the Sentinels are already in the lead."

I hung my hat and overcoat over the back of my chair. "Excellent. Isn't this the final match for the season?"

Reuben grinned. "Sure is. The showdown. Gets the adrenaline pumping to watch the underdogs face down the reigning champs, doesn't it?"

"It certainly does." I studied Reuben for a moment, pondering the best way to invite him to my banishing circle. After dinner would be best.

The robots served our evening fare, a savory helping of oven-braised chicken and creamed potatoes. Simple, but delicious on this cold night. I'd come to enjoy the hearty food ground-dwellers presented during winter. After dessert, everyone stayed to watch the championship. Excitement buzzed around us. I wasn't much of a hockey fan, it being more of an Earth-bound sport, but the enthusiasm for the home team was contagious. I clapped with the others, though all the while my thoughts lingered on the ritual.

"Two minutes and thirty to half-time, and look at that offense." The announcer's smooth voice shouted over the clamor. "Gershin takes a strike to the left, and...it's an interception!"

The cheering in the dining hall rose to a fevered pitch as the forward broke from the snarl of his opponents, and sped toward the goal. The image flickered, static crackling, and a news report interrupted the greatest play of the night.

Some of my companions booed and hissed.

Chester stood on his chair, raising a fist. "What the...how can they do this?"

Marie waved at Chester to calm him. "Hush. It's worse than you think." She pointed a graceful finger at the display, her doe eyes widening. "Look."

I held my breath, leaning forward to see better. The reporter was the same man I recognized from other breaking news clips, a narrow faced fellow with pensive eyes, his hat pulled low and collar turned up against a gusty wind.