Episode 4: Through the Wild Gate

Creaking footsteps and the brash aroma of morning coffee woke me, yet I knew something wasn't right. My servants always drew the curtains first.

Two dim figures lingered at my open door.

"Go back to your duties. I'll serve him."

A domestic robot trudged away, and a woman entered with my breakfast tray. Her captivating face glowed in the winking light of a candle.

"Mother." I scrambled upright.

"Happy birthday, Silas."

Duke sensed my alarm and snuffled a bark.

"What are you doing here?"

"Paying you a visit. We see so little of each other these days. Your father keeps you far too busy for your age." She set the tray down and paced closer. Still in her pale, gauzy dressing gown, hair wrapped for sleep, she sat slowly at the foot of my bed.

 Still in her pale, gauzy dressing gown, hair wrapped for sleep, she sat slowly at the foot of my bed

"What do you want?" I moved closer to Duke.

"I just want to talk a moment," she said.

"There's nothing I wish to discuss."

She sighed. "Your father is correct about one thing, we're strangers. I haven't been a good mother to you."

"Waking me unannounced isn't the best way to remedy that."

Her smile curled. "It's the only way I can capture you, and have your undivided attention, without others leering over us. I do wish us to be closer, so that I can be more...beneficial to you. And this, well, I thought I'd start with a tradition. Serving breakfast to one's firstborn child on their fourteenth birthday is customary on Tri-Jovian, where the rest of your family dwells. They want to be a part of your life, too."

"I don't find this amusing."

"I understand. I have an offer for you. Then, I'll leave."

"Say what you must."

"Your Uncle Holten is soon taking a three-week excursion to Mars, to assess a new building contract. He's bringing Castor along, and he asked me to invite you as well."

Uncle Holten, Mother's younger brother, was the CEO and chairman of Jaster Construction. I'd only met him once, a distant and supercilious man, with an admirable talent for business. His company's profits had soared when he assumed the helm, and continued to grow every year since. As he'd never taken more than a shallow interest in me, I was suspicious of his sudden regard, and Mother's also.

"Tell him I'll consider it," I said.

"Very well." She continued to stare, as the widening slats of sunrise peeked through cracks in the drapery.

"You told me you'd leave."

"You're so much alike. I can scarcely believe it." With trailing, embellished sleeves, she reached for my hand.