A New Beginning

I open my eyes to my mom.

''Wake up honey, you don't want to be late for school.'' She says while putting a strand of her dyed red hair behind her ear.

''Mhm.'' I groan and slowly get out of bed.

''Lisa babe, is she up?'' My dad calls from downstairs while he makes breakfast.

My mom leaves the room and I look out my window after spreading my curtains open. From here I have a view of the forest, which let me say, is beautiful during the day. Further away, I can see an old, maybe abandoned place, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll take a walk there one day and-

''Aubrey, come down! Food's getting cold!''

''Alright, I'm coming.'' I say while heading downstairs.

***

My mom and dad begged to drive me to school, but I insisted on walking... not sure why. The walk through the woods to get to school takes about ten minutes, which leaves me a lot of time to just think before getting there.

Just be normal. Try to forget that a psychotic alpha pack is after you and that your parents' lives are on stake. Don't shift during class.. don't shift, like, ever. Whatever you do, just don't-

''Hey! You're new here, right?'' A peppy voice snaps me out of my thoughts. 

I open my eyes and see a pale guy with a huge smile, but he looks okay.

''Y-yeah.'' I say slowly.

''Stiles,'' he says and pauses, ''You going to Beacon Hills right?''

''Starting today, maybe I'll have classes with you? ''

''I hope so- Hey Scott! Long time no see!!'' Stiles screams towards another guy walking alone.

Scott walks over to us as we approach school. He has slightly darker skin that Stiles, and he has dark brown eyes that just have something about them...

''Hey, what's your name?''

''Aubrey.'' I say and smile. This Scott kid seems pretty okay, are they all like this?

''Nice to meet ya. Do-'' Scott starts before getting interrupted by the bell.

Ever since the bite, I've been hearing so much more and everything so much loudly. When I hear that bell, a huge wave of pain just sheers through me and I wince, trying to look alright.

''You okay?'' Scott approaches me, looking concerned.

''Yeah, I'm fine. Not used to the bell I guess.'' I answer. Man, that was horrible.

*** In third period, right before lunch ***

''Miss Kaleighs, which war took place between 1756 and 1763?'' My teacher, Mr. Westover, calls out.

''Um- the War of Independence?'' I say quickly, totally not focused.

''That's incorrect, it's the Seven Year War. Pay attention, I don't want this ''zoning out'' to become a habit, understood?'' He looks at me weirdly.

''Yes sir, sorry.'' I look down. What's wrong with me?

''Anyways. The bell is about to ring. Please complete pages 34-37 in your textbook for tomorrow.'' Mr. Westover says and the bell rings. 

I head to my locker and gather my books for English, Science and Phys. Ed clothing. Putting the books in my bag, my binder falls out and I quickly pick it up, then tug at it to bring it back up. It's not moving. I look up and see Scott looking at me, smiling.