Three - Getting Pizza

Começar do início

I realised I was rambling so I shut up quickly, averting my gaze elsewhere.

Noah looked at his sister and she shrugged. “Do whatever you want bro, I’m seeing Keaton in half an hour so I won’t be home for dinner anyway and mum and dad is out on date-night.”

He then shrugged his shoulders and turned to us. “Yeah I’m down. I’ll put my board away and Ara can drive my car home. We’ll take your car?”

“Uh … uh, yeah sure,” I stammered, completely surprised.

So that’s how we ended up piling into my car, driving to mine and Bobby’s most favourite pizza parlour. I thought it was going to be hella awkward but it surprisingly wasn’t. I had some music playing and Noah was surprisingly into it, he bobbed along with it and made a few comments about other bands I might like. Bobby sat in the back and didn’t say anything embarrassing, so that was a bonus.

When we were seated at the pizza parlour, I was quick to order my favourite yet simple pepperoni pizza. Bobby ordered his usual cheese and when we turned to Noah, he looked stumped. “I never know what to get,” he said with furrowed eyebrows. “Everyone always gets plain pepperoni and that’s cool but at home we could always get crazy pizzas with heaps of stuff on it. I get tired of always getting pepperoni.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at the waiter. “Yeah, he’ll have the Garden Veggie pizza with added Italian Sausage. Oh and can we get a jug of juice for the table and a side of garlic bread. Thank you!”

She was gone before Noah could object. He raised an eyebrow at me. “Do you always order for other people?”

“She likes to order quickly so we can get our food,” Bobby cut in for me. “She doesn’t like to wait.”

“So you’re impatient?” Noah accused.

I shrugged. “Only when it comes to food.”

Bobby nodded in agreement. “My sister loves food.”

He laughed. “Fair enough. My mom owns Burger Fuel, feel free to stop in at one and try the food. She’d love to hear your opinion on it, since you know, you love food and all.”

“I might just do that,” I replied. I’d never heard of Burger Fuel so I was curious to see what it was like.

Bobby grinned. “Our mom owns a bakery! It’s called The Breadbox and it’s on the pier. My mom’s the best baker in the world!”

I rolled my eyes. “No she’s not Bobby, you’re exaggerating.”

He frowned. “What does that mean?”

Noah ruffled his hair. “Never mind kiddo, that’s just your sister trying to be too smart. I’m sure she is the best baker in the world, I’ll have to go down there one time.”

I looked at Noah, about to argue but he just winked at me so I shut my mouth.

“I can take you Noah,” my kid brother said. “You need to know what to get. We could go there after a surf.”

Somehow, the conversation turned into a conversation about surfing and skating so I zoned out and waited for the food to come. Praying it would come soon. Reading is actually quite draining and I only had one of mom’s cookies after school so I was completely starved. Having a baker for a mom meant I rarely went hungry. I didn’t know what it was to be hungry and therefore always ate but thankfully I managed to stay skinny despite not doing anything. It was something I got of my dad, which I was truly thankful for because exercise and I really didn’t go well together.

The food came after a while and I was quick to dig in. So were Noah and Bobby so at least I didn’t feel like some slob. After I was finished eating, I sat back in my chair and stretched out, glad to be wearing a dress as I was feeling as bloated as a beached whale. We talked for a while more and it was actually nice. Noah was a cool dude and didn’t act as if he was cooler than me, he just acted like a normal high school kid. Bobby loved him and he seemed to like Bobby, which I thought was cute.