Chapter 13: Surprise

"You've gone too far," a shockingly familiar voice says. Knowing there is no way I could possibly fight while holding Teddy, I gently set her on the ground. Despite the fact that I find her annoying, and her sister extremely annoying, I can't bring myself to harm her or treat her particularly harshly. Or specifically, I can't bring myself to harm her without good reason. To harm her now would be pointless. After all, I was just going to use her to control her sister.

"I can certainly say the same, Father," I hiss, slowly turning around. My father, little to my surprise, has an emotionless look on his face. He seems to only pick and choose when to show his emotion, with the majority of the times when he bothers to show emotion being when he is interacting with my mother.

"I'm serious! Even if she is a Ghoul, she is the same as age as you! Don't you, in even the slightest, feel hesitant about harming her?" He speaks with his usual loud voice. His voice seems to demand in an immediate answer, which I do not give him.

After staring at him in silence for a few minutes, I say, "I'm doing what I'm doing for a reason. What about you? Why are you helping me? What's in it for you?"

Suddenly, his face shows emotion. His brows furrow together, and his lips curl downwards into a frown. Additionally, his eyes begin to water. My father is confusing me. He looks both sad and angry... Why is he so upset? Why...

"I wanted to make you happy," he says in a shaky voice. "I, slowly over the years, realized you were searching for her. I wanted to help you even though..." Growing annoyed be his shaky voice, I interrupt him.

"What? You wanted to help me even though you are a Ghoul Investigator? You wanted to help me even though it could result in you loosing your job? Don't make me laugh... You're in love with your job. You find enjoyment in slicing Ghoul's heads off." To my surprise, as I speak, he regains his composure.

"She was my friend," he says in a quiet voice that I barely hear. "I use to walk her home every night..."

"You knew where she lived?" I shout, anger quickly boiling up within me. "Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you introduce me to her? Why didn't-" now it's his turn to cut me off.

"It seems I have no choice but to tell you this..." his voice trails off as he takes a deep breath, "the Nightmare you are searching for is dead."

My body shakes.

My heart aches.

And all I can do is scream at my father. "SHE CAN'T BE DEAD! SHE CAN'T BE, SHE CAN'T BE SHE-"

"TOSHIRO, HER KAGUNE WAS USED TO MAKE KIYOSHI'S QUINQUE!" my father screams, and his words result in me screaming louder.

Kiyoshi's Quinque is what I had implanted in my back...

SHE IS IN MY BACK.

THAT MEANS THAT THE VOICE I HAD HEARD OCCASIONALLY WAS HER VOICE.

You must kill him.

She is speaking to me!

You must kill him!

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU, YOU BASTARD!" I snarl, running towards my father, who sadly has come prepared. "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU BEFORE YOU KILL ME!"

/Short because I want to squeak out a few more chapters./