Chapter 12: Marks & Possibilities

The hot fiery feeling of panic spreads throughout my body upon recognizing Grizzly. If she figures out who I am... If she recognizes my smell, I will likely be dead in a matter of hours. Then again, if all she has to figure out who I am is my smell, I may be safe. After all, the only way she has been exposed to my smell is what little of my smell that lingers on her sister, which I confronted and blackmailed. Thanks to her stinky sister she has yet to smell my true smell. Similarly, even if she did smell my true smell, the coffee shop is filled with people. To try to depict one smell from the next here would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It would be nearly impossible.

Nearly.

Although my instincts are screaming at me to run, I decide to stay in the coffee shop. Hopefully I can hide in plain sight.

Hopefully.

Hopefully I can get out of here alive.

Hopefully.

Hopefully I can look at Sahashi's arm that is still hidden by a sleeve. Hopefully I can look at it soon... I need to know if he has her mark. I need to know which Nightmare is her. I need to learn more about what kind of people she injures and kills... I need to figure out where she frequently hunts. I need to learn which Ghouls she is friends with. I need to know as much as I possibly can about her, otherwise I'll never find her.

Hopefully Grizzly will leave soon.

Of course, the opposite happens. Grizzly, strikes up a conversation with Sahashi, who is embarrassed to have her find out about his tripping incident and stained sleeve. As she talks to him, she twirls one of her pig tails around her index finger. The action results in her shirt sleeve to slowly fall until most of her arm is exposed.

Once again, I nearly spit out my coffee.

GRIZZLY HAS HER MARK.

WHY DOES GRIZZLY HAVE HER MARK?

Seeming to sense my stare, Grizzly fixes her shirt sleeve so her arm is one again covered. Grizzly wasn't mentioned in either Nightmare's file... How does she know her? How much does she know about her?

Now I'm restless. I want Grizzly to tell me everything she knows as soon as possible. Knowing very well that confronting her directly wouldn't go well, I decide to do something that I never thought I would do... I am going to kidnap a girl. Or, more specifically, her sister.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my god, what happened to you?" A familiar voice exclaims, meanwhile rushing to my aid. "You're covered in blood... Where is your wound? Do you have more than one wound?" Teddy, although usually sassy and foul tempered like her twin has a weakness... Her heart. She rarely ever kills, and when she does, the victims are criminals or Doves. As she gazes at me with a look of worry, I am tempted to laugh. If only she knew... If only she knew that I am Porcelain... If only she knew that I am covered in the blood of a dead body. If only... Her face grows pale as she sniffs me a few times. "You're not human... But you're not a Ghoul..." Her expression grows dark as she realizes it.

As she realizes that I'm Porcelain.

Just as her eyes gain a malicious gleam, I inject her with it. I inject her with the serum that makes is impossible for her to use her kagune. With my other hand, I hit her upon the head with a brick.

"It's hard to find a good way to kidnap a Ghoul..." I mutter to myself, as I gaze at her limp body. For a second, I'm afraid that I've killed her. With a shaking hand, I touch her neck, and feel for a pulse.

She is still alive.

If she dies, Grizzly will kill me for sure.

"What bad luck you've got, and what good luck I have," I say, all the while struggling to pick her up. Despite looking small and frail, she is quite heavy. "Thank goodness my idiot of a father leaves all of his Ghoul hunting gear where I can grab it." For a Ghoul Investigator, my father is pretty dumb... Then again, what he lacks in intellectual strength he certain makes up for in physical strength. "He has made this all too easy..."

Easy.

What if he is just pretending to be an idiot?

I can feel my breathing become short and rapid as I start to panic.

What if this is all a trap?

Then again the opposite could be happening.

Maybe my father secretly loves Ghouls, and has been helping me this whole time...