Chapter 8: Bye Bye Birdie

"What did I do to deserve this?" Vulture asks with a chuckle. His emerald green green eyes gain a happy gleam as he notices what position I am currently in. I currently have him pinned beneath me, in what could be described as a suggestive position.

"You know what you did, or you should, " I say in a sickeningly sweet voice, "or are you birdbrained?" Vulture's eyes soon lose their happy gleam. In fact, his facial expression soon expresses the fear he is feeling.

"You w-wouldn't k-kill me, you need me!" Vulture stammers, practically begging for his life. Even though our conversation has just started, I am tired of it and I decide to end it as quickly as possible. Sensing this, Vulture attempts to sit up. He does so to no avail, because I slice his arms off with my currently translucent kagune. "Don't y-you love G-Ghouls? Y-You wouldn't k-kill a Ghoul!"

I can't help but laugh. "You're not a Ghoul, you're scum! You didn't obey my orders... You didn't make me into a real Ghoul! Did you think that I wouldn't notice? I can't eat human flesh! I should be able to eat human flesh! You didn't operate on me like you said you did!" I, after losing my angry tone, add, "Bye Bye Birdie!"

Vulture doesn't get a chance to respond because his head becomes seperated from his body. His head rolls off the edge of the bed and falls to the floor with a dull thud. Almost automatically, a strange feeling comes over me. My head feels like it is spinning, and my stomach feels like it is tied into knots.

You should have given him a second chance, part of me thinks, after all, he is the one that implanted kagune into your back. He is the one that helped you (start to )turn into a Ghoul. He is the one that helped you make your debut. He is the one that helped you recreate yourself. He is the one..

He is the one...

So far, he is the only one that you have been able, to more or less, control.

What are you going to do now?

How are you going to find HER without an assitant to do most of the dirty work?

With a loud sigh, I get off the bed, all the while making sure that I don't trip over Vulture's head. As soon as I step over his head, an idea comes to me.

"Perhaps you can still be useful after all," I whisper, meanwhile gazing down at Vulture's head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Imposter," an unfamliar voice whispers. It repetedly whispers the word until I stop in the middle of the alleyway. The alleyway is one of many alleyways that are on the fringes of Vulture's territory. "You're not Vulture."

"How do you know I'm not?" I ask the voice, meanwhile looking around in an attempt to find the source of the voice. "I'm wearing his mask, aren't I? I'm also wearing his clothes, and I have his smell..."

"You're not him... You have an underlying smell of a human. Who are you? What are you?" The voice annoys me more and more with every question it asks. "Where is Vulture? What did you do to him?"

"Why do you care?" I snarl. I was hoping that by disquising myself as Vulture, that I could talk to other Ghouls and try to gain information about where SHE might be. So far, my search for information has only resulted in me becoming aware of the exsistance of an extremely annoying Ghoul.

"You're in no position to ask questions," the voice asks, suddenly sounding extremely loud. I inwardly curse myself for not looking up more, for not noticing the figure that jumped down from a rooftop to stand behind me. As if trying to prove to me that they are in control, the Ghoul lets the tip of their kagune scratch at the back of my neck. I do not even bother to respond as I let my translucent kagune respond for me. Using my kagune I pierce what I assume to be the Ghoul's stomach, and throw them against one of the nearby buildings.

Spinning on my heels, my gaze soon rests on a Ghoul that is wearing a bear mask. The Ghoul, slowly rising from their crumpled position on the ground, hollers, "WHAT THE HELL? HOW DID YOU DO THAT?" Their outburst jogs my memory, and in a matter of seconds, I know that I have found my replacement for Vulture.

"I have my ways, Mayumi-chan," I say, all the while unable to hide my amusment upon witnessing her response.

"HOW DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM, ASSHOLE?" She shrieks, meanwhile glaring daggers at me. "WHO ARE YOU? I DEMAND THAT YOU TELL ME WHO YOU ARE RIGHT NOW!" She stomps her foot for emphasis. I can't help but notice that she doesn't make a move to attack me. Perhaps she has sensed that I am stronger than her?

"I am Porcelain," I respond, meanwhile rolling my eyes are antics. Mayumi is a teenger like me, yet she acts like a young child. However, the childish part of her is the part that I should be able to control. "And I need your help. Don't worry, you can say yes, or you can die. It's your choice."

"You're a crafty fucker," she mutters, running a shaking hand through her dark hair "I'll help you, but I ever get the chance, I'll kill you." I know that she means what she says because gives me a malicious look.

"Thanks for the compliment," I say, trying to hide my unease. Mayumi is going to be nearly impossible to control...

Perhaps I shouldn't have killed Vulture after all...