Chapter 10: Questions and Answers

My father told me to stay home, and I decided to because it seems like the best option. I need time to research and plan... Does Grizzly have any weaknesses? Who are Grizzly's enemies? Are any of Grizzly's enemies dumb enough to obey my commands without questioning me? Are any of Grizzly's friends weak enough that they wouldn't be able to kill me, even if they wanted to? For once in my life, I can feel myself panicking.

You've backed yourself into a corner.

There are very few options of a escape.

You shouldn't have killed Vulture...

You shouldn't have killed Vulture!

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KILLED VULTURE!

"I HAD TO! IF I WAITED ANY LONGER I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO KILL HIM!" I yell to no one in particular. In fact, I have no one to yell at, except myself. That is, unless you count the voice in my head.

"Who are you?" I ask, all the while rubbing my temples. For some reason, the voice almost always make my head ache. "What are you?" The voice, instead of giving an answer, laughs at me questions. "No really... Where did you come from? I didn't start hearing you until..."

I think you just answered one of your own questions.

I am a part of you, silly boy.

I am a part of your body, your past, and your future.

"Honey, I'm back," my mother hollers, accompained by the sound of a closing door. I've always been impressed by just how fast she can get her grocery shopping done. I am not impressed, however, by the fact that she feels the need to hover over me, and treat me like the helpless little boy that I use to be.

"Welcome home," I shout back, all the while walking over to my bedroom door and locking it. The last thing I need is her catching me going on my dad's computer, and using his security clearance to research Grizzly and other Ghouls. Once my door is locked, I walk back over to my father's computer and begin typing away.

search: Grizzly

1 file found

I click on the file, all the while a grin spreading across my face. In a matter of minutes, I will have all the information I need to kill Grizzly... My grin transforms into a large smile as numerous facts appear before my eyes.

After taking notes on what information is essential to killing her, I decide to give her picture another look. I need to find a way to distinquish between Grizzly and her less dangerous sister, Teddy.

If I had been standing, I probably would have fallen to the ground. Upon Grizzly's left arm is a familiar mark, a familiar word... It is identical to the word carved into my left arm "NIGHTMARE," I read out loud, as if needing to remind myself that I'm not dreaming. "Why do you have her mark?" My mind is now filled with more questions than answers.

search: Nightmare

2 files found

I decide to open the first file before opening the second file. I am almost automatically disappointed. There is little to no information. "Sex: Unknown.... Location: Unknown... Kagune Type: koukaku... Age: Unknown... Victims (killed): Yamashita Kyuwa, Fujishia Hirobumi, Sato Ichibei, Watanabe Bairei, Shoda Kensaku, Hirose Junnosuke, Ishida Momoko, Tange Kaiya, Itaka Mayako... Victims (injured): Sahashi Aki, Isoda Toshiro (unconfirmed)..." I read out loud, and find myself staring at my name. Unconfirmed? Why is my injury unconfirmed? My curosity and confusion is soon replaced with anger. This file isn't helpful at all! Hoping that the second file is more usefull, I click on it.

Name: Nightmare

Sex: Female

Kagune Type: Unknown

Age: 40

Victims (killed): Takewaki Rina, Yoshihara Natsuko, Shinozaki Mina, Ieyasu Nariaki, Akechi Naomichi

Victims (injured): Nagashima Asami, Isoda Toshiro (unconfirmed)

Status: Deceased

For the second file, and for the second (and assumably) different Nightmare, the location slot is replaced with a status slot. DECEASED. The word glares daggers at me, and makes my heart ache.

My injury isn't confirmed in either case because they don't know which Nightmare hurt me...

I don't know, or rather, don't remember which kagune type Nightmare has...

Overall, neither the CCG or I know which Nightmare carved "NIGHTMARE" into my arm.

One is dead.

She could be dead.

Hoping to calm myself down, I decided to research one last Ghoul.

search: Porcelain

1 file found

One of the facts about me stands out. Not only is it one of the few facts relating to me, but the name is familiar...

Case Assigned To: Isoda Hiroki

My father is the Ghoul Investigator assigned to my case.

My father is the Ghoul Investigator assigned to hunt me down.

My father is the one assigned to kill me.