Chapter 5: Testing

Chapter 5: Testing

"Since you can't go anywhere, let's discuss your transformation in further detail," Vulture says, his face currently hidden by a surgical mask instead of his usual beak like mask. His dark brown hair is swept up into a messy bun, and there are bags under his eyes. Was my operation really THAT tiring? "You seem to have a few things figured out already... The kagune you acquired is the best choice for you. Its rare ability to turn trasncluent and lie flat across your back will help you hide your new apendages from parents and Doves alike. Speaking of parents... Your parents must be worried." Pausing to look at his surpringly shiny watch, he adds, "it's nearly one in the morning."

"I told them I was spending the weekend at a friend's house," I respond, growing annoyed at his apparent lack of faith in me. "Don't worry, I planned our encounter well in advance. Well, mostly planned it... It is hard to plan situations that involve encounters with intelligent creatures... Well, fairly intelligent creatures."

He pretends to cry as I add the last part. "Wahhh, you're so mean! You should be thanking me!" He hollers, soon adding, "We need to stay on topic. What are you going to do about your eyes? Do you have contacts?" He begins to speak faster, failing to give me a chance to respond, "Do you have a mask? What are you going to call yourself? Are you going to EAT you know..." seeming to have forgotten about me, he begins to think out loud. "No, if you did that you would get sick... Perhaps if you REALLY wanted to I could do surgery and put a Ghoul stomach..." His voice trails off as he comes to some sort of conclusion. "Are you trying to become like him?"

"No," I respond quickly. "I will become something and someone better. I'll become a REAL Ghoul. It will just take some time and some experimentation. Do not underestimate me, Vulture-kun." His once tense and rigid posture loosens, and returns to its usual relaxed state. "I'm growing tired of this conversation... Let's do something more fun... Let's test my kagune."

"It's too soon!" He hollers, suddenly growing angry, "You are in NO condition to be moving about! You need to wait! You need to rest! You need to..." His anger seems to be hindering his ability to think. Or perhaps it is something else... "I would say more but you would just respond with a cruel remark..."

"Vulture-kun," I say softly, curious to hear what he has to say. "You can tell me anything." Being mean to him... I do it because I find his reactions entertaining. I have never come across someone so dramatic before.

"I don't want you to get hurt... I know we met a matter of hours ago, but I've started to become attached to you. After all, you're the first human that I was planning to kill that I decided not to. You cause me to feel a whirlwind of emotions. At first I was furious. Why would you want to be a monster like me? Then I felt happy. Unlike most humans, you are trying to understand us. You are trying to see the good in us, trying to look beneath our skin. You are a bit strange, however... I've never met a human that wants to become a Ghoul. You confuse me... You're cute yet scary, smart yet stupid. I could have killed you! You could be in my stomach right now!" As if to emphasize his point, he gestures to his stomach. "Yes we can experiment with various things. We can try our best to make you a Ghoul... But you could die in the process! Even now you could die... You don't have the regenerative abilities that a Ghoul has. If you get seriously injured, you will likely die. On top of it I don't know how your kagune will affect your body..." The fool's eyes are watering, and he looks like he is about to cry.

"Idiot," I respond with an eye roll, "I thought of all of those things! I decided it was worth the risk! I suppose it will be hard for you to understand but... I HATE being human. All we do is judge and destroy. We judge and destroy others, and turn the other way when it comes to ourselves. HUMANS are the real monsters." I attempt to comfort him to no avail. He soon fills the room with the loud and obnoxious sound of his crying. "We NEED to test my kagune out now. We need to start answering some of our questions. It's better to do it now instead of later... If we wait I might die first."

After a few shaky breaths, he manages to calm himself. "How do you propose that we test your kagune?"

"Fight me," I respond, earning myself a skeptical look from him. "Chances are that I will run into beings more powerful than you. If I can't hold my own against you, can I really call myself a Ghoul?"

"No. My apartment is not big enough," he responds, crossing his arms. "We are NOT going back outside either. Why don't we first test your kagune in small ways? Yes we need to get our questions answered soon, but we shouldn't rush. Rushing leads to mistakes." With a heavy sigh, I admit defeat.

"Fine," I huff, deciding to listen to him just this once. Upon hearing my response he approaches me, and hums as he seems to be attempting t0 decide what to do first.

"Try lifting your kagune without moving your shoulders," he orders, and I attempt to. Sadly, it seems most of its movements require the use of my shoulders. I manage to lift my kagune a little, but not as high as I had hoped. "Hmmm... Perhaps since the kagune came from a quinque it has led to you having limited control... Or perhaps your body hasn't adjusted yet..." Once again he is thinking aloud, seeming to have forgotten me. I merely sigh, starting to grow frustrated. At this rate I'll have limited mobility... I won't be able to control my kagune with precision... I'll look like a clumsy fool... "Perhaps your body needs more energy to use your kagune... Perhaps you need food! I could cook us breakfast! Well, I could cook breakfast for you... I would have to eat something that you can't eat... At least something you can't eat yet..."

"Please do something besides talk, or I'll just fall asleep," I say with a yawn. Who knew that being around a dangerous yet idiotic Ghoul could be so tiring?

"You NEED sleep so I will continue to talk more. I will talk and talk and talk..." he responds, seeming to talk without even pausing to catch his breath. He is annoying... He is tiring... Yet, somehow likeable. Perhaps we will able to be friends...

Friends... 

What is it like to have friends?