Afraid and Alone

Comincia dall'inizio

"Could we go back to the marketplace? It was kind of fun the first time."

"Alright, just don't run off again. It scared the life out off me."

She let out a nervous laugh, but sunk back into the depressed shell she was before. "Okay, Kai. I won't," she flinched for a second, then stepped to him. She lightly kissed him on the cheek, and retreated back into her room.

..................

What a relief. Cinder was so elated she could hardly stand it. Kai had just proven to her that he loved her on his own. And the fact that he went to such a length to justify his true feelings for her showed Cinder that he loved her even more.

Tomorrow was going to be the worst day of her life. She would have to leave him, betray him, and disappear from his life. Leaving him to suffer the consequences of such an act.

For now, she needed her rest. She hadn't been lying when she told Kai that she was fatigued. Cinder slipped under her covers and pulled her soft blankets up to the point of her shoulders. She was so swaddled in warmth that she thought she was on the sun. Her heart was on fire and a similar spark resided in her gut. The feeling of true love, and she was head over cyborg heels, for Kai.

....................

Kai was facing a large crowd. Not the one he was used to, but a crowd of people who he had thought he'd never have to face. Lunars. They were cheering at him, but not just his name. Long live Prince Kaito and Princess Selene. They were chanting the phrase over and over. He turned to his left. No. Cinder store blankly into the large group of people that faced them.

"Cinder," he nudged. She turned away and fled into the room behind them. He didn't notice until then that she was sporting a wedding dress, and he a very exquisite red suit. They were married, again. "Cinder, what's wrong?"

She turned from him as he approached. She gave him the impression that she was afraid. That she was scared to look at him. Just as he was going to speak, the door swung open.

"Wonderful, Selene. I knew that with some encouragement, you would reconsider your decision. I'm so proud of you." she lied. What was going on here?

"You threatened to kill him. What was I supposed to do?" Levana said she would kill him? Cinder gave up her freedom to save him? Selene sat down on a bed in the room, another thing he didn't understand.

"You could have let me destroy him. Then, you'd be out of this," she was smiling wickedly.

"You know how I feel about Kai. I could never let that happen." Kai was touched. The girl he loved would rather throw away the last thing she held dear to save him.

"I know. I counted on that silly affection." She paused to play with the fabric on Cinder's dress. It was simple, but she looked stunning in it. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman on Earth and Luna. Subtract the dress for her normal garments, she was still not given any competition. "Now all you have to do, is provide an heir to the throne."

"WHAT?!" she screeched. She jumped off the bed and backed away from her aunt. Kai caught a glimpse of her face. Her eyes were consumed with restlessness as black rings coiled around them. Her skin gave off a sickly glow as she became more and more nervous.

"Well of course you have to have a child, Selene. What else did you think was going to happen? That I would just let you lie around for the rest of your life?" Cinder's tiredness was crammed away by panic. She frantically scanned the room, in search of an unknown object. When it appeared that she couldn't find it, she ran out of the room.

"Cinder!" He chased after her, afraid of what she was up to. He saw her collide with two guards and she was forced to stop. For a moment, he was relieved. The next thing he saw, was Cinder drawing the pistol from one of the guards' belts. The guards stuck up their hands to show they meant no harm. Kai didn't do the same.

"Cinder, it's okay. Put down the gun."

"No." She shook her head as she trembled. " ... no, no, no, no." She walked backwards and the gun in her hands wavered. "I can't do this. I can't do this," she repeated.

"Cinder, calm down. I'm here. Just come here, and put down the gun."

The pistol shivered as she held it in a two handed grip. She constantly shifted her gaze from the gun to him. She finally rested her eyes on the pistol. She straightened her stance, and collected a bit of her sanity. Her left hand lied to ease at her side, the nozzle of the gun in the other hand pressed to her temple. "I'm sorry, Kai."

"NO!" he screamed. But he was too late. The shot echoed off the walls, the floors, his ears. She dropped to the ground in a heap. The pistol flew from her fingertips and she crashed. He ran to her side, he grabbed her by the waist. He tugged her into his lap. Blood streamed from a small crater in her head. He cried her name, begging her to wake up. But she refused. Over and over he pleaded her name, as if the word could save her. Bring her back to him from some distant place she traveled to.

She was dead. He begged for the guards to help him, but they did not move an inch. He ran his fingers through her silky hair. Tears soaked his face and dripped onto his darling princess. She was dead. She couldn't take it. Levana just had to tell her that she would be forced to have a child with him. It wasn't fair. She was dead. How could this happen to her? The most lovable girl he'd ever met, just killed herself in front of him. Now, he was caressing her body in his arms. Her blood found its way onto his clothes, and his tears onto her dress and face. He flecked them away, not wanting to trick his mind into thinking that she was crying too. She was dead.

And if his princess was dead, there was no point in living.