Chapter Twenty Five

Anna stood at the front door and knocked. She pulled down the too tight, low cut t-shirt she'd borrowed from one of the girls at the Lancer. She had nice ample cleavage, and it was on display. Her pistols were tucked in the back of her shorts in leather holsters. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail, and she was wearing a baseball cap. The door opened. It was a tall man with long black hair.

"You are quite a nice thing to find at my front door." He smiled at Anna and spoke with a foreign accent.

"I'm sorry to disturb you this late, but my car broke down. She pointed to Leia and China, who waved at the man in the doorway. It would really help us a lot if I could use your phone. She remembered that hers was now on vibrate in her back pocket.

"Of course, madam, permit me. Let me go get it for you. Be right back."

Anna motioned behind her back as Frenchy left the doorway in search of his phone. China got out of the car, lowered the hood, and returned to her seat. Leia and China drove off. Anna waited for a few moments, and then entered the open doorway. She closed the front door behind her. Frenchy rounded the corner of the kitchen back toward the front door, and found a very pretty, small woman with a pistol pointed at him. She maintained a distance of five feet from him.

"It's not what you think, lady. Put the fucking gun down."

"Shut the fuck up," she snarled. She pointed her gun toward the sounds that came from the den. "Get moving."

"You are fucking up forever, bitch." His accent had magically vanished.

"Plans are already underway; you know how it is. Now fucking move!"

Frenchy walked through the doorway and into the den. At his immediate left was Fat Jase sitting in a recliner.

"Fuck me boys and girls, I do believe the pizza has given me," he lifted an ass cheek from the recliner and proceeded to fart, loudly, "ahhh, much better." He found his flatulence humorous and laughed.

He put his hand up for a high five as Frenchy passed, but was left hanging. Frenchy walked to the opposite side of the room in front of the sliding glass doors. The back wall of the den was mostly glass, leading directly out to a backyard so barren that the river sand filler only sprouted weeds. It was like the house had an outside patio planned, but at the last minute, the builder didn't have enough money to finish the job and had stopped at the doors. The lack of lawn and other features didn't make it useless space though. Pushed up against the sliding glass doors was a shiny stainless steel BBQ grill. Not a cheap one from Home Depot or Lowes, but one of those specialist grills indicating that the owner had spent a lot of time researching the options. A weatherproof cover sat in a plastic chair beside it. The lower shelf held a spare propane tank. A spider made its way from its web in the upper corner of the frame of the glass door toward the safety of the roof gutter. Its sense of danger had never failed, and it moved quickly.

Against the wall to the left was a sofa. On it was Allie Devereaux. She was laying on her side digging through a bowl of M&Ms, eating only the orange ones. She was wearing gray sweat pants and a light green cotton t-shirt.

Against the right wall was a love seat. On it was a man Anna recognized. She had come for him.

She moved in beside Jase sitting in his recliner. She pressed the barrel of the gun in her left hand against the side of his head. She saw Pete in the mirror on the far wall.

"Got it, he's your shield. Keep him between you and the rest of them whenever you can. Calmly threaten him. Let him hear only confidence in your voice. Remind him to breathe."

"Get up, slowly. You freak out and I'll make a mess of you. Deep breaths now. That's it. Don't lose it."

The others looked on in amazement for a fraction of a second. The man with the tattoo moved first. He reached for the side of the love seat where the last cushion met the right arm.