Chapter 1

"It's not you, it's me, trust me," Scott Peters tells me, outside the boys locker room.

"Oh, that's a new one," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Please, Charlotte, don't be upset, I know this is hard to hear,"

"Trust ME when I say that I'm not upset. I knew this would happen. It happens all the time," I say, and his eyebrows crumple in confusion.

"It does?"

"Yeah, quite often," I say.

"It was nice to see you Scott. Maybe if you weren't using me then we might have had something. I have to go to English now, see you round," I say, waving at him as I walked away.

I walk into my English class and see Hannah, my best friend, sitting in our usual seats. Hannah has golden blonde hair and eyes the brightest blue you would ever see. She's wearing a yellow sundress with tiny white flowers on it, as well as white ballet flats. I slip into my seat next to her.

"How'd it go?"

"He pulled the 'it's not you, it's me' card. I wish people would shake things up a bit," I say, and Hannah gives me a look.

"Why do you go out with these people if you know they don't take it seriously?"

"Remember, I stopped dating in year 10, after Jake, Alex, Mike and Joseph had pulled the same card Scott did. But when Scott asked me out he seemed nervous, so I just put him at ease. Didn't realize he was exactly the same as everyone else," I say, huffing as my twin brother, August, walks into the room.

Auggie is wearing a white V-neck t-shirt and jeans, with black vans. He's sporting his usual wide framed black geeky glasses, and I hear Hannah sigh beside me. Thanks to being the captain of our football team, Aug has trained and worked hard and has been gifted with a full six-pack and disgustingly huge biceps.

"Hey Hannah," August says, walking over to our desk and giving my best friend a kiss.

"Nice to see you too, brother," I say, and Hannah pulls away, giggling.

"You hear who's coming back?" August asks, sitting in front of me.

"Oh yeah, I heard, I cant believe it," Hannah says, looking at Auggie.

"I know right, after he has been away for so long,"

"Do you think he will adjust?"

"He should be fine,"

"Um, hello? Can someone tell me what's going on?" I ask, puzzled. Hannah bites her lip, and August gives me a cheeky grin.

"What?"

"Charlie, you aren't going to like this," Hannah says, shooting me a trust-me-you-don't-want-to-know look.

"Can you guys please just tell me who is coming back?" I say, thinking of the people I know who have 1) been away for a long time and 2) might have a hard time adjusting.

More people start to fill the class when it hits me.

"No,"

"Yep," Aug says, a stupid grin on his face.

"No, no, NO, NO, NO! He can't come back!" I cry.

"If you're talking about Chino in West Side Story, then yeah, he does," Mr. Johnson, our English teacher and my beautiful father, says, walking in the classroom.

"Uh, no sir. Sorry, off topic," I say, shrinking into my chair.

We are looking at West Side Story before we move onto our actual Shakespeare play, Romeo and Juliet.