Chapter 15- Marriage, Necklace, And Zuko?!

"Well, I wanted to ask you. . . I don't know how to say this, but. . . will you marry me?"

I sat up instantly, looking deeply into his eyes. I couldn't do this! He sat up too, his eyes looking at me full of thought and concern.

"Hahn. . . I can't do this to you. I barely know you, and I have a mission to complete. This is all very too sudden and I can't accept this offer. I'm only 15, after all. . ." I stated. His eyes dropped sorrowfully then lit back up like a candle stick.

"When's your birthday?" he asked his eyes now looking for hope. I had to think for a moment. . .

"What's today?" I asked.

"In the Winter Solstice." he answered. (I don't know what day, so. . . um, pretend it's a special day. I don't know how that part works so bear with me here)

"My birthday is in a couple of d--- Hahn! That has no meaning of this! I'm a 15 year old and I can't go into marriage yet! I still have a life to complete before I'm ready to give up my life to a man. I'm sorry, Hahn. But I'm not ready for this just yet." I said.

He looked defeated, sighing hesitantly. I watched as he reached his hand in his front pocket and pulled something out. He held it up for me to see.

It was a necklace.

"Hahn? What's this for?" I asked looking at it closer. It was a blue pendant necklace with blue straps around it like a choker. There was the moon in it's waning crescent form, with a full moon beside it with waves inside it. A weird square symbol was in the middle.

"It's for you, River," he stated walking closer to me.

"It's beautiful, Hahn." I stated. It truly was.

"Will you wear it?" he asked. I didn't know what to say. . .

"Yes," I said bravely. I didn't know why, but I just really liked it. Did he make it for me? I thought it was so kind of him to be giving me such a beautiful gift. He grinned up at me, then turned around my back to place the necklace on my neck. It felt a little snug but it also felt right. I loved it.

"Thank you. I love it." I said, turning around and giving him a hug. I look at his lips and I reach in to give him another kiss. He noticed too and then kisses me back. I open my eyes then gasp in shock as I begin to pull away from him.

"What's wrong, River?" he asks. I point up at the sky in horror. Soot. Soot is falling from the sky, and that means Zuko is coming soon.

"Oh no," he says and looks at me worriedly. "River, I want you to hide. I'll protect you so I want you to come with me, okay?" he says and without a word he starts dragging me by the arm and towards the temple.

I look out in the distance of the horizon to see grey smoke around fire nation ships. Oh no. This is really, really bad. "Hahn, where you going?" I ask. He looks back at me worriedly.

"I have to do something. I'll meet back with you later if that's alright. Stay safe," and with that he was gone by giving me a kiss on the cheek.

Moments later a large drum was beating down and I watch as people rush down to what I'm guessing is the main hall where I was.

~

When the Chief asks for volunteers, Sokka was the first to stand up before Katara could say anything.

"Count me in," he said confidently. He walks up towards the chief and gets stamped on the forehead to know that he has joined to risk his life for us.