Chatper 6 - Tests

Chapter 6 - Tests

After that little moment with Zuko, things have been much better. I've been keeping him away from Aang to protect them and his friends, and saving my butt with these questions he sometimes is ramming about, like my 'bending', but EVERYONE knows I'm not a bender, that's just ridiculous! How could I possibly be a bender, when I'm from a totally different world?! I think that's a bit stupid and hard to believe...

I sat down playing Pai Sho with Iroh. I sometimes call him Uncle when I feel like it, or just plain to irritate the crap out of Zuko. He keeps thinking that I'm getting too close to him. Ha, he's right! I suddenly become like his niece. I really like Iroh, he's like the best old man I ever knew! He's like an uncle to me, too. He's so kind, thoughtful, sweet, generous, warm, and full of love!

I gasped. He beat me!! Even though I was new at this game, I learned it pretty quickly and it was easier and more fun every time I played it! He let out a small chuckle as I pouted like a four year old. NOT FAIR!! I groaned in frustration; I got up and stretched from my sitting position I've been in over an hour. I sighed, cranking my neck.

The door creaked open and Zuko walked in clomping his boots to the ground. He had no expression on his face and he had a cold annoyed look in his eye. He stood in front of me and arched his eyebrow. It was like he was trying to send a telepathic message through our minds. He gave a annoyed sigh before looking me dead in the eye...

"River, come to the deck with me," Zuko spoke in a mono tone voice, "I want to see something." I gave a questioning look, but didn't speak or hesitate at any other further cost. I walked with him, following behind the banished fire prince up the stairs, and be welcomed by the fresh air outside the ship.

I stood in the center of the deck waiting for fire pants to get his butt over here, and tell me what's going on! He came back with several things in his arms: a rock, a candle, a cup of water, and a feather.

Was this some sort of test?

He set them down on a table right in front of me. Where did that come from? He laid them in order. First, the feather.

"What, you want me to turn into a chicken or a bird?" I snorted. He hesitated.

"No, I want you to bend it it."

"But I'm not a bender!" I bellowed.

"Just please try!" He yelled. Now I hesitated. I rolled my eyes concentrating to lift the feather. Instead, it disappeared into thin air. Awkward? He frowned, but placed a cup of water and spilled it on the table leaving it ad big as a fist.

I didn't know what to do, but I just concentrated on the water too. I tried to form it into a circle, but it just evaporated! Man, the sun is hot today! He rubbed his chin thinking. Then, he laid out a big rock in front of me. Once again, I concentrated glaring my eyes feeling the hot rays of the sun on me. The rock then exploded and turned into small balls of light like it did the other day, I think?

A candle was placed next. It was already lit. I decided to play a trick, I was so bored! I bent down, my face towards the candle and blew it out with a cheeky grin on my face. He groaned and lit it again, "Please, just do this one last thing." he said. I hesitated, narrowing my eyes on the candle. The fire went brighter and brighter, and soon bigger. My eyes went wide and my pupils dialated from the excitement I just casted.

The little flame turned into a big fire and looked as bright and yellow, almost beige. Was I doing this or was this a prank?

"Get uncle," I heard him say just above a whisper. I nodded slowly and went down the stairs and past the hallway into Uncle's room. I opened the door to see a smiling Iroh.

"You are needed, Uncle, Zuko wishes to see you." I said. He stands up from setting his tea down and follow me up the stairs to find Zuko still standing by the nearby table. Zuko walks up to him, stunned.

"Uncle, it was incredible, I never seen anything like this before! She--she-what is this? She made a rock explode and turned it into small light balls, made a feather vanquish into thin air, evaporated water-uncle you should've seen it! I think she's the Avatar too! But how is that possible?" Zuko was confused by what I just did. Is this some sort of prank?

"What the heck is going on?" I asked desperately in confusion.

"You're the Avatar! Two avatars! How is that possible?!" He shouted. Iroh didn't know what to say, and I highly doubt I am the avatar! But what-about the thing that happened earlier when I was at the air temple when I glowed? What was that? All my questions kept ramming through my head like I was giving myself a Trivia question test!

"Huh-what?-No!" I stammered. Ugh.

"Why didn't you tell me? I thought I was your friend?" He asked. I looked away feeling ashamed. But why?

"I-I didn't even know..." I whispered. His look softened. " I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... hurt you..." He frowned, but I threw a grin instead.

"I know I'm not the Avatar, but I think I know something about the Avatar statues." I said.

"Explain!" he protested. I was going to tell him everything.

"I went to the nearest top of the statues, and I touched a hand of one of the first Avatars. It started to glow, and then it back fired on me. I was glowing with it, and the room started glowing brighter." I bellowed.

"Hmm, what did that statue look like?" questioned uncle. I can't believe I'm going to tell them.

"He looked kind of dark skinned even with the stone. His arrows were kind of old-fashion like, and he had a weird gem piece on him. It was green but had an absorb of different colors with it." I finished kind of guilty. Iroh looked away thinking curiously. He motioned his hand for us to follow. We both proceeded.

We walked down stairs what seemed to be a little library. It still had a lot of books with dust on it. He went down a bit and picked up a red leather book with gold on the edges. It had a little fire nation sign on it.

He opened it to several beige pages. They looked old and hasn't been used for centuries. Iroh turned the pages and showed me what looked like Japanese writing. The first Avatar?

"In the beginning, there was single nation, a large traveling tribe of nomads. The dominant race on the planet, the world was their kingdom. Bound together by their natural curiosity, the nomads traveled the planet, learning all they could; its secrets, its mysteries, and its stories.

In time, the people learned that the various animal races could manipulate the elements of nature to their advantage. The dragons could push and pull fire to cook their food, the badgermoles could push and pull the earth to dig, the koi fish could push the water to swim, and the sky bisons could push and pull the air to fly.

The first Avatar, Nubia. He discovered bending and war was placed then at 73 B.C. He ended the first war, and later on had a strange death. The Spirit of Light visited him and gave him his greatest desire. Her power.

But with that, she fooled him and set her lightning strength to him, making him shatter within the light and turned into the Sun Spirit. An orb that contained with green powerful light, it stayed on his finger, conducting something very magical, indeed." he continued. "Anyone who possesses the magic within it, can only hope they survives; or vanish for eternity from the sight of it." I gasped. I didn't die?

"Whoever lives will have great power from the hand, and receive their true form, their bending will grow more stronger if so, but if they were the light benders, they would be unstoppable, and impossible to beat." Wow! So, I'm a bender from my past? So, what am I originally?

WAIT, I'M A BENDER?!

HOW?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

A/N: SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT, I WAS TRYING MY HARDEST BUT I UPLOADED FROM MY IPOD... I LASTLY EDITED IT ON MY LAP TOP :P