prologue

Everyone hates prologues. I know it's a little boring, but continue reading! You won't regret it!

Graduating highschool. That's a big deal for most people. It comes with a lot of privileges and freedom. You can do so many more things by then. Many people attend college. And that's exactly what Louis Tomlinson did.

You see, Louis is gay, and he is completely fine with that. It's not a decision, nor a choice, he was born that way and he can't do anything about it. He knows that being gay is okay. When Louis came out to his parents at the age of 16, they weren't exactly fine with it. They wanted to be okay with Louis' "situation", as they would call it, but they just couldn't find it in themselves to. They grew up really religious and were raised to believe being gay is a sin.

They tried hard to accept Louis' sexuality, really. But Louis knew that they didn't support him deep down. He didn't want that negativity in his life.

He didn't have anyone to fend for him. He felt all alone. At home. At school. At work. Even though it wasn't true, every 1 in 5 people have a different sexuality other than being straight. He was lost. He almost listened to his parents too. He almost believed that he was messed up in the head and that he could try and fix his "problem".

Same-sex marriage wasn't yet legal in the county at that time, so that made Louis' parents think they were doing the right thing even more.

Don't get me wrong, he loved his parents very much, of course that was until they didn't support him and his sexuality.

Louis, soon realizing that they were only causing harm, decided that he needed time to himself. Time to explore his sexuality and how to deal with his parents. He wanted his family to be happy together. He wanted his children to grow up having grandparents.

His parents had agreed to pay for his college tuition near London. That was the plan all along, really. He was their son after all, and they want the best for him. Or at least that's what they say, even though it's not true because then they would be accepting of him.

It was the end of the summer after graduating from high school. It was time to say goodbye to his parents whom tried hard to love all of him, and whom he tried to love fully. But how could he love them if they couldn't love everything about him?

They bid their farewells as Louis promised to visit eventually. He wasn't going to ditch his parents completely. He knew they were only raised this way and they tried hard to change their beliefs. But it wasn't good enough.

But who knows, maybe one day they will finally accept Louis for who he is.

He spent the next 4 years in college while working at a temporary job to get enough money. He worked at an animal shelter nearby, since he loves animals, during the weekdays for 4 hours and then waited tables on the weekends for 6 hours. Working that much was frustrating, especially while trying to balance school work on top of it. But Louis had to pay for his apartment, after all.

He also had a car that he didn't use much because of high prices and parking fees in the city. So if he ever wanted to go in the city then he would take a train or bus. It was a lot cheaper.

He found a small flat in a nice complex. The rent was cheap, considering it being located on the outskirts of the city and not in the heart of it. Louis was only on the 12th floor. The view wasn't the best in the building, but it was a lot cheaper than being near the top.

4 years later and he was finished with college. He continued on working with animals, but at an animal hospital. He loved it and it made a lot better pay than the animal shelter, obviously. He's been working there for almost a year now. He adopted 2 cats, who are siblings, and a hedgehog. He's always been a sucker for animals. All 3 pets have some sort of problem, that's why he wanted to adopt them. He wanted to name his two cats Adam and Steve as a joke but he couldn't because one is a girl and that just would end up being really ironic.

He ended up naming his cats Chocolate and Chip, and his hedgehog Cookie. He thought it was cute. Luckily, the complex allows you to have animals, but only 5 of them.

Chocolate, a girl, is half blind in one eye, Chip, a male, had rabies when he was a kitten, and Cookie, also a male, has an eating problem. He doesn't like to eat certain food that's heathy for him.

Nonetheless, he loves his pets like a best friend

Nonetheless, he loves his pets like a best friend. They keep him company, he thinks.

Louis' parents never called sometimes, but it was obvious how distant their voices sounded. And Louis would try to return the favor. He would send cards for holidays. But it just never felt right, it was awkward and kind of sad.

He's now 22 and living alone but not minding one bit. He has a few friends that he works with, but no one special has caught his eye yet.

But maybe that changes.

A/N
Keep reading this story please! Vote and comment. It means a lot.

Published: