one

Let's get started, beautifuls!

I just got finished working at the animal hospital and I just stepped foot into my flat before hearing a knock at my door.

Who is that? Maybe Niall needs me or something.

I patter to the door and look through the peep hole that's in the middle. There's a young looking man standing outside of my door in a suit with paperwork. I have never seen him before. He looks stern yet welcoming at the same time. Short brown hair with brown eyes. I hope I'm not in trouble.

I turn the doorknob and send a small yet unsure smile.

"Mr. Tomlinson?" He says while looking at me almost nervously.

"I, uh, yes that is me, Sir," I stutter while standing in the doorway awkardly.

"I am the owner of this apartment complex and I have some news that you will find either amazing or really bad," he tells me while scanning the paperwork in his hands.

What can the news be? Did someone die? Well that wouldn't be amazing, so it's probably not that. Something about my parents? And the fact that he is the owner makes me even more nervous. I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

"Okay," I say, beckoning him to continue.

"Well my team and I want to redo this room. We were thinking of knocking down the wall and making it bigger. As you've probably assumed by now, you have no neighbors on either side of you."

That is true. I have never seen or heard someone in the flats next to mine.

He continues, "And we were thinking of moving you to a different flat while we remodel yours. But then, of course, you will have to pay more to come back to this flat. We want to expand it so it is three times the size as it is now. It seems to be that people are looking for bigger apartments now."

He wants to move me?! I have all my stuff here. Posters, lights, furniture. Everything. It took me forever to redesign this place. I wanted it to be special.

"I'm sorry, but I rather not move to a different flat," I say politely thinking I had a choice.

"That's not really for you to decide, Mr. Tomlinson."

"What do you mean?" I say a little loud.

"We want you out of the flat by Saturday afternoon."

It's only Wednesday now, which means I have only 2 full days to pack my stuff. This is ridiculous. I better not pay a single penny more than I already am for this flat. Can he even do this to me? Like is this even legal?

I just stare at him in awe so he speaks up again, "But I have good news."

What news could be good after the one I just recieved?

"We will allow you to stay in the building for free," he says. I bet he's going to move to the basement, and I'll have to stay in a crappy room with no view of the city or water. What's the use at this point?

"Is the flat smaller?" I ask genuinely concerned. The flat I'm living in now is pretty small. It has a small kitchen that is next to the 'living room', even though the living room only consisted of a couch and TV. And a bathroom near the door. Then there's a loft that is above the hallway.

 Then there's a loft that is above the hallway

I have been planning to move out once I have enough money and I find a partner whom I want to share my life with

I have been planning to move out once I have enough money and I find a partner whom I want to share my life with. Maybe get a house with a couple bedrooms for our kids. I'll hopefully have enough money in a few years to move out. I love being so close to the city but it's not a good environment for my, eventual, children.

"No," he laughs, "No. Definitely larger," he says. "We want you to move up to the penthouse. It hasn't been preoccupied in a year. I guess it was too expensive to afford."

The penthouse?! Shit! That sounds not too bad afterall. Aren't penthouses supposed to be like super nice or whatever?

"But one catch to it," he says while pointing to me. Of course. Of course there's a fucking catch. I should have known it.

"Okay," I hesitate, "What is it?"

"Well we want to renovate a few other flats. And all of them currently have no one residing in them besides one other person like you. So we figured that you two can share the penthouse for now. I mean, it's definitely big enough for both of you," he explains while pointing to the paperwork with a pen.

I am not sharing a flat with another human being who I don't know anything about. He could be old, or maybe he is a drug addict. We are right outside of the city, after all. Or what if he wants to kill me or something?

"Uh, who exactly is this person?" I ask confused for the right reasons.

"His name is Harry Styles and he's a few floors up. He's around your age I assume. How old are you?" I like how his name rolls smoothly, but still, I have no knowledge on who this person even is.

"22," I respond.

His face lights up, "Oh great! He is 25."

I groan internally and curse this whole sitaution. What if this guy is homophobic? I don't want to have to deal with that all again. At least he's not some creepy old man who never married.

I stand there thinking about the whole situation. Do I take the offer? Well, I honestly don't have much of a choice. All other flats near by either cost more or are just crappy. And I mean, it's the penthouse for god's sake. Like the owner said, it should be big enough. Maybe I can just ignore Harry Styles while staying there. But then I'll also have to move into a different flat after they're done renovating. There is no way I can afford the flat after it gets expanded. I need to save up my money for later in life.

"Mr. Tomlinson, can you please sign the contract that says you agree with this? I will leave this with you for now, but please return it to the front desk by tonight once you've signed it. Sorry for the inconvenience, please call the front desk if you have any questions. They'll put me on the phone for you. And we will take care of all your stuff. We will move all your stuff to the top and provide you with boxes. Have a good night," he says sincerely and starts to walk down the hall after I nod my farewell. 

I close the door and slowly make my way to the couch, paperwork in my hand. I slump down in the chair and just stare at the contract.

What has even happened?

So I'm done with my first chapter. And sorry if it's boring and all, it will get better soon! I promise :)

Vote and comment.

Published: 7/31/16