Cuz I'm Your Best Friend

Start from the beginning

A small smirk came across my face and he wore one to match. "Oh really?" he asked.

"Yep," I said stifling a giggle and shoving the card back in the bag.

He got up and crawled over to sit next to the present so it was in between us. "Let me see this," he said as he began to open his gift. His eyes lit up as he pulled out a red cap with a design on it and a white watch. "Well the other Nathan is just going to have to get a different gift because I think I'm going to keep this one," he said putting the hat on.

"Well okay," I said smiling and taking his hat off his head and putting it on my own.

"Thank you Nicki, I love it," he said pulling me into a big hug.

"I told you you would," I said laughing. He just smiled and hugged me tighter.

Around 6:30, we got ready to go out to dinner. Nathan went home to change into something a bit more comfortable since we were still in our a-bit-nicer school clothes. I pulled on some dark-wash jeans and a loose short-sleeved blue top. It was a bit windy outside so I also grabbed a jean jacket. I put on some light, natural makeup. Then, I put on my light blue TOMS, shoved my wallet and phone into my pocket, and left for Nathan's.

When I got there Jess opened the door for me and let me in. "Hey Jess," I said. "He's still getting ready isn't he?" I asked immediately after.

"Of course he is," she answered matter-of-factally. Of course, this was nothing new since he always took forever to get ready.

Jess walked into the kitchen and I went upstairs to find Nathan. He was in him room pulling on some red high tops. He had on the hat and white watch I gave him earlier. He also had on black jeans held up by a red belt, a white top which was under a black leather jacket, and some dog tags.

"You ready?" I asked as he looked up from putting on his shoe.

"Yep," he smiled and we walked downstairs. "Bye Jess," he yelled as we walked out the front door.

The pub, Riley's, was a 20-some minute walk to get to. Nathan's and my family had brought us here together when we were a bit younger so we had many memories from this place.

The red sign above the door shone dimly, but could still be seen from down the street. The 'Open' sign flickered every few seconds.

Nathan opened the door for me and I walked into the warm, inviting environment that I had been in so many times before.

"Hey guys!" Hannah exclaimed as she walked up to us. Hannah was a server that Nathan and I knew quite well. She was around 25 years old, was short, and had a small frame. She had strawberry-blonde hair that flowed down to her below her shoulders and crystal blue eyes. "Just a table for two?" she asked grabbing two menus.

"Yep," Nathan answered as we followed behind her to our table. She led us over to a booth in the back.

"What would you guys like to drink?" She asked as she passed out the menus.

"Just a Coke please," I replied.

"Could I have a beer?" Nathan asked with a giddy smile on his face.

Hannah looked at Nathan for a second then her lips formed into the shape of an 'o'. "Oh yeah," she said,"happy 18th," she smiled and went to get our drinks.

I began looking through the menu which I knew by heart. "I'll just have one drink, don't worry," Nathan said.

I looked up from the menu across the table to Nathan. He had a shy look on his face. "No, it's your birthday. I'm okay with it." I gave a small grin.