A Chance Meeting

"How's your tour been?" Echo took a sip of her coffee, leaning over the table and never taking her gaze off Adam.

He sat back in his chair, returning her gaze. "It's been okay, I guess," he said, "I can't wait to come back to camp though."

"Aha, you aren't completely sick of me!" She smiled, but there was something about her expression, something in her eyes that gave her away. She'd actually thought...?

Adam was taken aback. "Echo! How could you possibly think I was sick of you?"

She looked down, tracing the lid of her cup. "Well, you know, I'm your annoying little sister, so..."

He shook his head. "We're more like best friends than brother and sister. I thought you'd realized..."

She shrugged. "You know me. I forget the last time I felt brave. I just recall insecurity."

"Ah, the lyric reference. A classic Echo move right there."

She smiled and looked up at him again. "Indeed, my brother. Indeed."

"Intended reference to Alphonse Elric?" He was very much aware of his younger sister's obsessions.

"No, I would've just said 'Brother' with a capital 'B'."

"Ah, no 'my', then."

"Correct."

He nodded. "Unlike you, I'm not familiar with the world of Fullmetal Alchemist, so..."

"Oh, I'm aware."

"Of course you are."

"Of course I am."

"Tacos."

"Yes."

Adam smiled. This was one of their extremely random conversations. It was common for the two of them to go off on some random topic, especially after an awkwardly serious conversation like the one they'd just had. Of course, an awkward silence followed sometimes, and this was one of those times.

Before either of them had the chance to say a word, though, a man, probably in his late 30s or early 40s, walked up to their table. He wore a suit that suited him (and also looked rather expensive), and carried himself with a slight air of authority. Adam didn't like this guy.

"You're Adam Young," said Suit Guy, looking at the young (no pun intended) musician.

Suddenly, Adam liked him more. "Yeah..."

"Who's this?" Suit Guy indicated Echo.

"I'm Echo Smalley, Adam's sister," said Echo.

"Sister? Adopted?"

"No," she replied, "Full blood. Um, and long-lost as well."

"Ah, makes a bit more sense. Can you sing?"

Adam, seeing the hesitation on his younger sister's face, broke in. "Yeah, she can sing."

It was worth the glare. "Let me hear you, then," Suit Guy said.

"R-right now? Here?"

Suit Guy nodded. "Yeah, why not?"

Adam watched as Echo took a deep breath and began to sing his song "Top Of The World" which was a sure sign that she was nervous. Either way, she sounded amazing, and by the end of the song, having regained her confidence quickly, the eyes of everyone in the cafe were on her. After she cut off the last note, not a single person didn't applaud, and she was even granted with a standing ovation.

Suit Guy nodded, looking impressed. "You write your own songs?"

Echo nodded. "Yeah."

"Play any instruments?"

"I'm okay on piano."

"I see..." Suit Guy studied the face of Adam's younger sister for a moment before taking a business card from his pocket and handing it to her.

"Name's Nathaniel Hier."

The teenage girl took the card. "Hier," she said, "That's a Welsh name. Oh my go...sh... You're the OWNER of Shinebrite Records?"

Adam blinked. There was no way...

"Indeed I am," Nathaniel said, "and a smart young lady you are. Yes, I am originally from Wales. That, of course, is beside the point. I'd like to offer you a contract with my company."

Echo glanced at Adam over the table, meeting his eyes with hers and grinning. After a moment, she looked back to Nathaniel. "Well, I do love a Welshman. Do pull up a chair, Mr. Hier, and if you'd be so kind, would you please state your conditions?"