There Was a Shot in the Dark, I Was Caught by Surprise

PEYTON'S POV

1 HOUR LATER

"What? You have to go up against your own brother because Nathaniel wants you to? That's hardly fair," I said in disbelief.

"I know," Echo replied, "but I don't get much of a choice."

"That sucks. If only you could get a contract with UMG..."

"If only," she sighed.

"You'll figure it out. I'm sure you will."

"I sincerely hope so. If not, then there goes having a life..."

I shook my head. "You know what? I'm not cool with this. If Nathaniel wants to mess with my cousin's hopes and dreams, he's going to have to talk to me about it," I said as I stood up.

She looked at me, obviously alarmed. "Peyton, no, don't. You'll just make things worse."

I hesitated, then sighed. "Okay... I just don't like seeing you like this."

"I know you don't, but you'll have to deal, because I have to fix it on my own."

"Fine," I said, "I'll ignore it as much as possible."

"Thank you," she said, closing her eyes. "Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ADAM'S POV

I had the sneaking suspicion that this problem was even worse than it seemed. There was something more...

I picked up my phone and scrolled through my contacts until I found the name Steve Bursky. I tapped the name, then the call button.

Steve picked up after the fourth ring. "Hello Adam. What is it?"

"I forgot to ask earlier," I said, a knot already forming in my stomach, "who's this competitor?"

"Oh, I can't believe I forgot to tell you before! Echo Smalley."

My breath caught. "I was afraid of that. This is bad. Very bad."

"How so, Adam?"

"Echo Smalley is my little sister."

"Oh my, that is bad. I'm sorry, Adam, I do hope things work out for you."

I sighed. "Thanks, Steve. I should go now. I'll talk to you soon."

"Okay. Bye Adam."

"Bye." I hung up.

Yep, I was right. Things were much worse than I thought originally.

It was my choice, the most difficult choice I'd ever had to make: my sister or my fans?