11

Kota counted the beeps of the heart monitor every minute. Max's pulse was 49 the minute prior. This one, he projected would be 48.

Thirty two...thirty three...thirty four...thirty five...

Kota could easily crunch the math for an accurate estimation of Max's pulse with only ten seconds of counting. The mental math was easy enough for him. However, Kota didn't want the arithmetic shortcut. That would leave a whole fifty seconds in the minute for his thoughts to wander to dark places. The spare time when he didn't count reminded him of the aches, bruises, and general soreness of his own body, which probably didn't compare to whatever pain Max was feeling through his restless sleep.

So Kota kept counting. Beat after beat. Minute by minute.

Despite the counting, the events of the day prior still played on repeat in his mind's eye. He couldn't get the memories to stop.

***

The rain made it hard for Kota to track which direction Max went through the woods. Heavy water drops splashing against leaves still on the trees and on the ground drowned out the sound of Max's running footfalls. Kota had to rely on sight alone, scanning for movement that wasn't characteristic to the rain.

He wasn't expecting his phone to ring, but the fact it did with an accompanying zap to his butt didn't surprise him under the circumstances. The situation was certainly classified under 'chaos' at this point.

Kota answered the call, tilting his head far to the side to try and protect the phone from most of the rain as he ran, still tracking Max's retreating form.

Sang's news that the parcel Max had stolen was a bomb had Kota's blood turn cold.

"Max!" he screamed, not caring if his vocal cords would be strained later. "Release! Heel!"

They were far enough away to not damage any of the houses on Sunnyvale Court, based on the quick glance he'd had at the box and its dimensions. Of course, the contents could hold a blast much bigger than anticipated, depending on the chemistry of what was packed inside. Kota was mentally crossing his fingers that it wasn't big, hoping that something would work in his favor. He just needed to get Max and himself a safe distance away. If things worked out perfectly, there was still plenty of time before it exploded. The mail carrier would want enough time to clear the vicinity if the bomb was set to a timer. Even better, it could be setup for remote detonation. He trusted Nathan to detain the mailman to prevent the use of whatever the trigger device was, if that was the case. No matter the method, Kota could use the mailman's want for self-preservation to Max's and his own advantage.

Kota ran up in time to see Max hurl the brown-wrapped parcel even further into the woods. Max then turned on his heel as the package sailed through the air.

Kota was starting to pivot to lead Max back home when the bomb went off the moment it hit the ground. The jostle had to have bypassed the delay mechanism and set it off prematurely.

The boom was deafening. Kota couldn't hear anything other than a whining ring as he pushed himself up from the soggy ground. He didn't remember how he got to the ground in the first place.

He scanned his surroundings. Debris was still falling alongside the rain. It all seemed surreal, like reality was a dream, without being able to hear the pitter patter of raindrops and plops from clumps of mud falling from the sky.

Kota's ankle burst with pain as he tried to put weight on it, and his other thigh was stiffening up as each second ticked by. Those were minor concerns. He had to find Max. Max was Family. Family first. Max took #1 priority right then.