Convincing the Mailman

A/N: Unedited, because I'm posting this after all the beta readers called it a night. So feel free to point out any errors and poke fun at the embarrassing typos.

North napped on the couch, sitting upright and his head back. His jaw hung open, and Luke busied himself by sticking his finger into his brother's gaping mouth, testing to see how far he could get without touching any of North's teeth or tongue.

Luke did well to contain his amusement as he inserted more and more of his hand until his fist was nearly engulfed.  If Luke started laughing now, he was sure to set off North's gag reflex or possibly get half his hand chomped off.

Victor watched Luke's latest antic, thoroughly entertained as he sipped on one of the iced coffees Nathan had in stock in his fridge for Sang.

Both boys had an ear open to the conversation Mr. Blackbourne was having with Kota, Sang, Nathan, and Max. Max was mostly quiet, only speaking when someone asked him a direct question. He was not use to being included in active conference. The group discussed their observations, such as Max's astounding learning rate and adaptation of new fine motor skills.

Sang pointed out Max's use of pronouns that had developed throughout the morning, which led to how everyone noticed Max's sentences were gradually getting more complex. Soon, he would have the cognitive ability of a late 20s adult male, just as he appeared to be. Mr. Blackbourne pointed out that while his mind will have caught up to his body, Max's social skills will most likely still be severely lacking.

Sang managed to occupy Max with folding laundry after Max managed to successfully sneak a lick to Kota's cheek. Sang would show him the difference between how Nathan liked his shirts folded as opposed to Kota's. Max was enthralled with the bright colors of the fabrics before he pulled them up to his nose and sniffed. Based on the scent underneath the detergent, fabric softener, and anti-cling dryer sheet, the man could tell who wore the shirt last and identify the true owner of the garment.

Nathan joined the laundry party and confiscated all the underwear after Max correctly named who owned the first pair of boxers he came across and made comment on Nathan's diet the day he last wore them.

"Interesting," Kota said as Nathan rummaged through the laundry basket. "It appears he has retained some of his canine characteristics. Max? Come here for a bit."

Sang narrowed her eyes at her spectacled friend. "Don't turn him into a guinea pig."

Max cocked his head to the side again, making his orange-blonde hair fall over one of his honey brown eyes. "I am not a rodent. I am a dog." His eyebrows scrunched together in a very human gesture. "No. I am a person now. I am man."

Victor spoke up with some conjecture. "I think idioms are going to be a long term goal."

Luke snickered. His hand shook. North gagged and launched himself until he was doubled over in a coughing fit. Luke laughed harder as he thumped his brother on his back in a fake attempt to help.

"What the hell?!" North gasped in between bouts. His dark eyes looked to Kota. "Did you see what happened?"

Kota adjusted his glasses to where light glared off the lenses. A mischievous smirk teased the edges of his mouth. Victor recognized this look on his friend. Kota wasn't very creative when it came to the arts, but he was still creative in other ways. It was part of what made him a great leader. He knew how to think outside of the box when the situation needed a new angle, and he wasn't afraid to try new methods to get a point across to his team.

"I saw it," Kota replied.

Luke gulped.

"Max!" Kota barked in his commanding voice. Max immediately stood up at attention. Everyone was half expecting Max to salute. "Sniff out, locate, and retrieve any hidden stores of candy, chocolate, and all other sweets in the house.