24~ Thorin

PROMPT: You marry Thorin and there's a little surprise...

The great room was filled with loud chatter and boisterous laughter as drinks were passed around from table to table. You were able to relax for what seemed like the first time in forever; the ceremony, all of the details that had gone into making the whole wedding perfect were just in the past at that point. It seemed like forever ago that you had asked Thorin to marry you, as per dwarven tradition, and you sat there thinking back on the moment with a fond smile as you focused on your happy husband. Everything was worth it, you knew that, all of the arguing between both of your families and all of the sleepless nights filled with worrying. Now you were a Durin and you really couldn't be happier about that.

With Thorin by your side, you felt as if you could do anything. If you had thought that it would be a good idea, you would have joined in with Kili and Fili as they challenged each other in a drinking game. Thorin looked just as sure of himself; for once, he bore no stoney expression as he looked out at the crowd of people who were there you celebrate your marriage. Everyone was truly happy.

There was the sound of wooden chair legs scraping against the floor as Thorin pushed up from his seat. It was enough to quiet the noisy room and catch the attention of those in attendance. The clearing of his throat could be heard over the dying murmur of conversation and he waited for it to be completely quiet before he started to speak. "My fellow brothers," he called, earning a hearty response of excited exclamations, "thank you all for coming and making this a truly unbelievable night. As you know, dwarves only ever marry one person, and I am lucky enough to have found the perfect one for me." His eyes settled on you after that, one of his hands sliding over the table in order to reach yours. The complete adoration in his eyes was more than you could handle in that moment, and you turned away with a blush and a smile.

Thorin took his seat after that, relinquishing the chance to speak to someone else. Of course, Kili and Fili were the first to fight over the opportunity even though Balin eventually beat both of them to it. He went on and on about Thorin in his younger years, sharing stories that were embarrassing enough for Thorin to hide his face in the crook of your neck while he chuckled. You tried your best to focus on the speech, but it was hard to take your mind off of the pure happiness pouring out of everyone. It was so intoxicating that just taking a breath made you feel tipsy with the giddiness.

The rest of the night was a blur of happy faces and overwhelming noise. Your mind was having trouble sorting out everything that was happening as it happened, but you were sure that it would all settle down when the night was done. As the celebration dragged on and the dancing refused to cease, you could feel your limbs growing heavy. You resigned yourself to sitting down for the rest of the night, watching Thorin bound across the room with child-like energy. His sobriety was long forgotten and you wondered if it would ever come back with the way that he continued on with downing his drinks.

Eventually, the excitement of the night leveled out and teetered to a stop. Most became too tired to continue on with the dancing and merriment, others just filled out with the groups that were leaving. While you were beyond happy with how the celebration had turned out, you were also glad to see everyone go. It gave you a chance to relax in your seat without having music bombarding you. Thorin, having no more friends to dance with, plopped down onto the chair beside you with a small groan. His arm draped over the back of your chair, a feeble attempt to bring your body a little closer to his own.

"I love you so much," he mumbled, the slur of his words gone as if he hadn't had a single drop that night. The lazy grin on his lips was evidence against that, though; it was so unlike him and looked so out of place, but there was also something pleasant about it.

You leaned forward in your chair so that you could press your lips to his in a sweet kiss, bringing a hand up to caress his cheek once you had pulled away. "I love you too," you returned the words, the sincerest of smiles lining your lips. His eyes fell closed at that as if he was relishing the moment of contentment. With a small sigh, you pouted your lips and added, "We really must talk when you're sober, though."

Thorin's brows furrowed and his eyes opened rather quickly so that he could look at you with his classic frown. You could tell that that had worried him, and you really hadn't meant to do that. "I'm sure that I'm plenty sober for whatever is on your mind right now," he protested. And there was his stubbornness, even when he hadn't even started to put up a fight yet, you could tell from his tone that he wasn't going to give up until he knew what you were thinking about.

There was another sigh as you sat back in your chair again, hand resting over your stomach as you looked out at an empty room that had held so any people not even an hour prior. You glanced towards Thorin for only a second before nodding in a sort of resignation and saying, "I'm pregnant." It wasn't as if the news was something that was terribly nerve wracking; with the dwarven social norm of marrying later in life, many women had children before marriage. And it wasn't as if you had rushed into marrying Thorin because you had found out that you were pregnant; the news had come long after everything had been set into place. But the nervousness came with the fact that you didn't know how Thorin would react; the journey to Erebor was not too far off and you had never really discussed the details of having a family.

A small gasp came from Thorin before he was rushing to scoot his chair closer towards yours. One of his hands pressed onto your stomach gently, almost as if he was expecting to feel the evidence of a baby there already. His eyes were wide when you looked at him and, though his mouth hung open with disbelief, you were sure that he was smiling with those beautiful eyes. "You're sure?" he sounded out of breath, almost as if he had ran a lap around the great room.

You worried your bottom lip between your teeth as you looked down at his gobsmacked expression and nodded. Thorin pulled you into a tight hug in the span of a few seconds, being careful not to crush you since he had heard the wonderful noise. It was easier to relax at that point, because you knew that Thorin was happy, and that was the only thing that mattered to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heya! I was a bit better with getting this one done in a reasonable amount of time and I hope that it turned out well! Thank you all for all of the wonderful votes and comments; they really mean a lot! This one is dedicated to the wonderful Suzannehinton12345 ; thanks for the request and I hope that you enjoyed it!

-cow_queen