Act III

King Hamlet crumpled up the offensive letter from his only son. He expected Prince Hamlet back in Elsinore today, instead he received a horseman and a letter that directly disobeyed his every order. He had sent Prince Hamlet to Wittenberg for education! Not to play house with a foreign whore and shirk his duties. Norway seeked retaliation, revenge and retribution. He needed an alliance with the Swedes as soon as possible. His son would not avoid his God-given obligation to Denmark. In ruling, it was always your nation first, then your personal affairs. Soon, his son too would learn this.

"Send for Claudius" ordered King Hamlet. The messenger ran off to the east wing of Kronberg.

Claudius appraised his elder brother as he leaned against the dark wooden chest in the study. He had always admired King Hamlet's dedication to Denmark's safety and future, however often thought that his brother took his responsibility too much to heart. The man was currently furiously pacing, shouting out curses at his son's refusal and secret marriage. All Claudius could think of was how he now had what would be akin to a granddaughter. Still a bachelor, Claudius treated Prince Hamlet as his own son, and could not believe that the youth was now a father.

"Claudius!" King Hamlet exclaimed, pulling his brother out of his reverie, "I have decided what to do. For the future of Denmark, Prince Hamlet's whore and bastard must perish. They are the reason why my son is dishonouring me today, the boy must learn a lesson."

Claudius stared back at the brother he thought he knew in horror. "You would kill your son's world in the name of Denmark? Norway has made its peace. You must make your peace as well. Forget this nonsense and let your son live his life!" He shouted in anger.

"My son's world is Denmark" The King retorted. "I task you with the murder plot. Kill the girl and infant. Or better yet, sell them to the Mongols. I need someone I trust to do this so word of Prince Hamlet's antics do not spread."

"Never!" Claudius bellowed in anger. "I will not hurt my nephew in such a way! Find someone else to do your Godless Devil's work. Or maybe, find a heart." Claudius stalked out of the study shaking his head in disbelief, not catching King Hamlet's last words.

"I will find someone else, I will." The King muttered.

The King is old and senile, Claudius thought, as he hatched a plan of his own. He was the only one who could protect Prince Hamlet. It was time for the prince to come back to Denmark with his Persian bride and daughter in tow without fear. Claudius believed that the monarchy had become stagnant, with the King's obsession over Norway and treacherous plots.

"I will cleanse Denmark of its temperamental King. The prince shall come home in peace and the King shall die in his anger fueled quest." Claudius vowed.