t h i r t y-t h r e e - don't make it a big deal

Start from the beginning

"It can be a poem, it can rhyme, it can be a story – it's whatever you want it to be. We're giving you complete, creative freedom for this project. The idea is to dig deep and find what matters most to you in life. Tell us about it. Make us understand why this certain thing, idea, person, whatever, is most important to you," she explained as we scanned over the directions quickly. "There is a dress code, there is a time limit, and we will be grading everything. From your diction to your posture to your nervous ticks.

"There'll be plenty of time to practice, but my guess is that most of you will wait until the day before to read it over once and call it a day. I'm telling you now that's not gonna get you an A. You have to practice it a few times in front of others and in front of yourself. Practice it until you can read it in your sleep. I've done this for too long to know how you kids are. You're lazy, and being lazy won't get you to graduation," she shrugged. I've always liked her for being so honest. "If y'all have any questions, come see me. Class is almost over, so just sit back and relax until the bell rings."

Once she finished, we all turned to our friends and started talking about different things. Plans for this weekend even though it's only Monday, ideas on what to write our speeches about, and so on.

Blair spun to me and rested her chin in her hands, smiling widely. I can only imagine what's about to come out of her mouth.

"Your birthday is in twenty days!" She cheered to me like I wasn't aware of that fact.

"Woo hoo."

"Could you be any less excited?" She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"I'm excited, just clearly not on the same level as you," I chuckled. She opened her mouth again, but I cut her off before she could start. "Don't make it a big deal. It's only eighteen."

"You're annoying," she groaned as she shook her head in disapproval.

"The twenty-eighth is on a Sunday anyway, which sucks. We'll just have a cake and end it," I shrugged, perfectly content with my simple idea of a birthday celebration.

"Whatever," she disregarded me and threw her hair over her shoulder. I can tell she's thinking of things to do for that weekend anyway. "So what are you going to write your speech on?"

I shrugged again, nothing going through my mind. "I'm not sure yet. What about you?" I asked.

"Probably something about love," she sighed dreamily, spinning a lock of hair around her finger. I rolled my eyes with a smile at her. She gave me the middle finger back.

We both laughed as the bell rang, so we collected our things and headed to our next class – study hall. Blair and I spend our mornings together with nearly the same schedule but then after lunch, we get separated. And no matter how much she annoys me sometimes, it's always fun to have classes with your best friend.

When we got to the classroom, it was empty, so we took our seats and got used to the silence. Slowly, the remaining seven students entered the room, with our adviser being the last person in. She set up shop at her table, putting down her cold coffee and taking out a nail file. Wish I had that job.

Within a few minutes of class starting, everyone else was knee deep in homework while Blair had other important issues to talk about.

"I wanna ask you something, but I don't want you to get mad at me," she said in a small voice, her words coming out quick.

I paused what I was writing down in my planner and let out a long sigh. I know what she's going to ask and I know I'm going to get frustrated, but I nodded anyway.

"Are you happy like this?"

It took me by surprise for a second. I stared at the page of my planner that's open to the second week of April, pressing my lips into a fine line.