Prologue

Ten Years Earlier...

"You can't do that! It's cheating!" I yelled.

"No its not, you just don't like losing!" my brother yelled back.

"Whatever, you better be glad you're older than me." I laughed and ran towards the house falling as I was almost inside.

"Are you okay!" Kyle rushed over to me.

"Yea it just hurts a lot!" I felt the familiar scratchiness in my throat and I wasn't surprised when tears started to spill out of my eyes.

"It's okay, I got you." Kyle wiped my tears, picked me up, and took me to mommy and daddy.

"Oh what happened! Someone has a boo-boo." My mom walked over to me taking me out of Kyle's arms.

"She fell while running into the house, she says that it hurts a lot." Kyle said as my dad walked towards him.

"You're a great big brother, if you weren't there, she could have been hurt." My dad gave him a hug and ruffled his hair.

He looked over at me with sympathetic eyes and went to get the first-aid kit.

4 hours later..

"Dinners ready!" mommy yelled from downstairs.

"You need help getting downstairs, Kyla?" Kyle asked with sad eyes.

"I think so, thanks Ky. You're the best!" I laughed as he walked towards me.

"Anything for my baby sister. Love ya!" He yelled while beginning to tickle me.

"I love you too!" I said between laughs. When we got downstairs, we smelled delicious lasagna and looked at each other and smiled.

"Smells great mommy!" I joyfully sprouted as Kyle sat me in a chair.

"I know its your favorite and with you being hurt and your big brother being there to help you, you guys deserve it!" She gave us both a kiss on the forehead.

"Lets eat!" my dad yells as we say our prayer and begin to dig in.

"That was great mommy!" I smiled as she laughed.

"Yea mom, that was delicious!" Kyle said as he came over to me, picking me up. We said good night to mommy and daddy as we went upstairs. Kyle laid me down and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Good night little sis. Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite. Sweet dreams, love you." He kisses my forehead again as I give him a hug.

"Love you big bro. Thanks for being the best big bro any little sister could have. I love you so much!" I told him as he smiles showing all his teeth.

"Not as much as I love you little sis!", he begin to tickle me. I laughed until tears begin to leave me eyes. Mommy came to our room and stopped the fun.

"What are you guys still doing up? You guys have to go somewhere to go tomorrow!" Mommy told us.

"Mommy we were just having fun, can we stay up a little longer? Please." I begged her.

"I don't think so, you guys need your sleep."

"But mommy please!", my brother and I said in unison. Later daddy walked in with a robe on grabbing mommy's waist.

'What's taking so long?" He asked as he pulled her closer.

"The kids don't want to go to sleep." She stated.

"Kids listen to your mother. She's only trying to help. If you don't go to sleep, you'll uh wake up as a zombie." He made zombie noises.

"Really!?" My brother an I screamed in unison.

"Jacob, stop playing with the kids like that." Mommy gave him a hit on the shoulder.

"If we don't go to sleep, we'll wake up like zombies?" I asked as I begin to get very scared.

"Yes, and we don't zombie kids, thats why we tell you to go to bed at a reasonable time." Daddy said as he took my brother to his bed, giving us both kisses on the forehead, soon mommy followed.

"Good night you guys, we love you." Mommy and daddy waved as they turned off the light.

"We love you too mommy and daddy!" My brother and I said in unison. Things in my life couldn't be any better.

Six years later..

"You never make time for us anymore!" My mom yelled as my dad slammed his hand against the wall.

"You know I work hard every fucking day to provide for you and the kids. You just don't appreciate what I do for you and the family, you guys mean everything to me." My dad yelled back as my mom begin to cry.

"Why are they always fighting?" I cried as I asked Kyle.

"It's natural, when you get married you fight." He said pulling me closer.

"Are they gonna split up?"

"Just because they fight doesn't mean they're gonna split up."

"I'm scared Kyle."

"Don't be, I'm here for you."

**********

My parents have been fighting everyday and I just don't like it. Kyle has been a great brother and he has been there for me through it all. At thirteen years old, I shouldn't see my parents fighting.

"Kids come downstairs, we need to talk." My mom calls us as we ran down the stairs. We sat down on the couch as she sighed. I could tell that she had been crying.

"Where's dad?" I asked her while looking around.

"That's what we need to talk about. As you guys know, you're dad and I have been fighting a lot. We just think that it's best if we just spend some time apart." My mom looked away as if trying to hold back tears.

"What about me and Kyla?" Kyle asked.

"Well Kyla will be coming with me while you stay with your dad."

"Mom you can't separate me from Kyle! You just can't!" I felt the scratchiness in my throat as the tears begin to fall freely down my cheeks.

"Mom you know she means everything to me! I can't let you separate us!" Kyle yelled.

"I'm sorry, this hurts me and your father too, but its our only choice." My mom pulled us in as we all cried.