Chapter 36: Candles and Jealousy

(a/n) My chapters get really weird from this moment on. Just a fair warning in advance.

I knew that it was time to break out of the bus when I saw what was happening in the kitchen.

Michael and I had been playing video games ever since we woke up that morning, and we finally stopped when he started complaining that I was beating him in everything. That wasn't true. Sometimes I let him win.

We entered the kitchen for a snack, only to see Ashton, Calum, and Luke surrounded by several cans of soda and a flickering candle. RJ was at their feet, and if it was possible for a puppy to be exasperated, she was it. Allison was nowhere to be seen.

"You're doing it all wrong," Ashton said, pushing Calum out of the way. "You have to do it like this."

He downed some Coke and crouched in a half-seated position in front of the candle. He cleared his throat and belched. The little fire wavered a bit, but that was all.

"What exactly am I supposed to be learning here?" Calum smirked, folding his arms over his chest. "Luke, it's your turn."

"No, thanks," the blonde boy said, tossing the empty cans into a trash bag. "I think I might explode if I drink  any more soda."

"Alright, my turn," the bassist said with a shrug, and he started chugging a Mountain Dew.

"What on earth are you guys doing?" I demanded, practically stomping into the kitchen.

"We're trying to burp out a candle," Ashton explained. "It's harder than it looks."

"And why are you doing this?" I asked after I had face-palmed so hard that it stung.

"We saw some guy do it on this TV show called 'Celebrity Juice'. He did it in only a couple tries."

Calum burped rather loudly, but he was too far away from the candle. "Dang it. Reese, you're in my way!"

I recoiled away from him, and I watched in disgust as they both took turns trying to put out the candle. They never succeeded. Michael laughed at them, apparently highly amused by this.

"I give up!" Ashton shouted after his fifth try. He threw his hands up in the air in exasperation. "That show is rigged! This is impossible."

"Give it here," Michael said, snatching the Coke can from his friend's hand. "Let me try."

"Good luck," Calum said, leaning against the fridge.

I grabbed Michael's wrist before he could bring the can to his mouth. "Don't," I warned him.

"Try to stop me," he said carelessly and merely shrugged me off.

"Michael's new to the whole be-sexy-for-your-girlfriend thing," Luke whispered in my ear. I mimed kneeing him in the cherries, and he hopped out of reach.

My boyfriend finished drinking and just waited for a second. Then he bent down like Ashton and released a huge belch that put out the candle like a wisp. His friends stared at him in shock while he straightened up and pumped his fist.

"Top that!" he yelled triumphantly.

"Michael is rigged," Luke said.

"Okay, you guys obviously need something to do," I said, holding my nose as I pushed deeper into the kitchen. "The last thing I need is you all trying to fart fire or whatever."

They all exchanged looks, and I regretted ever saying anything. I dumped the empty cans into the trashcan and put the half-full ones in the fridge.