Chapter 16: Tickles and Insomnia

(a/n) It's not yet July of 2015 in this story, so that's why Ashton's twenty and Luke's eighteen. Just wanted to clear that up before you get there.

P.S. Which do you think would make a good 5SOS/1D fanfic: iCarly, Gravity Falls, or Drake and Josh? I love those shows, but I only have time for one.

Merp.

"Let me get this straight," I said, leaning hard on my right crutch. I lifted my left hand to rub my temples in exasperation. "We're in Oklahoma?!"

"Seems so, yes," Calum confirmed, scrolling down his iPad screen. "The weather for the next few days is supposed to be hot and shiny."

"We're not supposed to be in Oklahoma!" I exclaimed, ignoring him. I snatched the rolled-up map from Ashton and bonked him on the head with it. "We should be in Kansas by now!"

"I have a horrible sense of direction, okay?" the drummer said in defense. "If you're going to make me drive across a country that I'm not familiar with, at least provide me with a GPS."

"No way, the FBI could track us down," I objected. "And did you have to pick this place?"

I gestured at the window with the map, and we all took a look outside. It was dark out, but there were flickering lights illuminating the small, crumbly, white building. Several wooden doors lined the outside of it, each cracked or peeling paint. A buzzing neon sign advertised the saying, "Come On Inn, We're the Friendliest!" Only some letters were fried, so it really said, "C me On In , We'r th Frie lie t!"

"It looked cheap," Ashton muttered.

I rolled my eyes. "You're a millionaire! Who would've thought that you're a cheapskate?"

"We're not going to be millionaires for much longer if you keep spending our money like you won the lottery!" he retorted. "Money doesn't grow on trees, you know!"

"It's not my fault that you guys take forever in releasing albums," I sniffed. "You make more money that way."

"Yeah, what's up with that?" Allison agreed, wrinkling her nose. "When is the next album coming out?"

"That's classified," Calum told her. "Look, can we get inside that stupid inn now or something? I'm tired and hungry."

"We can spend the night in the parking lot," I offered. "We have all that we need right here."

"I want to sleep in a real bed, Lucy," Allison told me flatly.

"Don't call me that!" I yelped.

"I'm with Calum on this one, let's go in," she continued as though I hadn't spoken.

Everyone rolled their suitcases off the bus--well, except for me. Ashton grabbed one bag and Luke the other, and they patiently waited for me to descend the bus steps. I grunted as I tried to ease my way down with the stupid crutches, but my arms were squished in the narrow doorway. My foot also burned with agony whenever it got jostled around.

"Oh, for Pete's sake," Michael moaned. "We're going to be here all night!"

Calum began to take a step forward, but his friend pushed past him. He took my crutches from me, handed them to the bassist, and practically picked me up. The crutches were given back to me, and Michael set me back down on the ground very carefully.

"Um, thanks," I said, sounding perplexed.

"Don't get used to it," he mumbled.

We headed inside, and the interior didn't look much better than the exterior. The ugly yellow wallpaper was curling off the walls, and bugs flew around the naked lightbulbs. In the lobby, there was a single armchair and a desk, which a greasy old man sat behind. He was scribbling something down while scratching his double chin and puffing on a cigar.