Chapter 11: Jails and Tears

(a/n) Short chapter, sorry, guys. :/

P.S. Can I sign with DCD2 Records right now? Please and thank you.

P.P.S. TODAY IS MY 5SOS CONCERT AND IM FREAKING OUT LIKE WHAT SHOULD I WEAR AND WHAT SHOULD I DO AND WHAT SHOULD I SAY IF I MEET THE BOYS WHICH PROBABLY ISNT GOING TO HAPPEN BUT A GIRL LIKE ME CAN DREAM AND I JUST DONT KNOW ALL I WANT TO DO IS SCREAM AND SING AND DANCE AND UGH I CANT WAIT TO BREATHE THE SAME AIR AS LUKE HEMMINGS WISH ME LUCK

"Time's up," Officer Greene cut me off.

I gawked at him. "What? No! You have to let me finish! Please, you can't just leave me hanging like this! We haven't even gotten to the fun part yet!"

"Your hour is up," he snapped at me, pointing at the clock behind him. "I have other clients to listen to today, Miss Ortega, and I've already given you two more minutes than you're assigned. We will continue this tomorrow."

"You mean it?" I asked hopefully. "Please, you have to let me finish my story! It gets better, and I promise that you'll understand that I never meant for any of this to happen. Actually, I'm surprised that you don't believe me yet."

Officer Greene gestured with his hand, and two officers came bursting through the door. They heaved me out of my chair by my arms and began walking me towards the door.

"So I guess we'll be continuing this tomorrow then, huh?" I called over my shoulder.

He didn't reply.

"Officer Greene?"

The door slammed shut behind us before I got a response. That made me nervous, because what if they never let me go? What if they thought that I was guilty? That couldn't happen! He had promised me that it wouldn't happen, that he would be there with me till the very end! Sure, he wasn't with me now, but it wasn't like he could spend his entire day following me around. He was kind of a busy guy.

The officers led me back to my cell and practically threw me inside. One of them slammed the gate shut, and the other locked it with his ring of keys. I walked up to the door, but they were already leaving.

"Thanks for the police escort, but I'm not that popular!" I shouted after them. "You needn't trouble yourselves."

I received a grunt in reply, and then another door was shut. The metal clang of it resonated around the jailhouse, making it sound empty. But even though it was quiet, I was far from alone.

I was surrounded by fellow criminals who had done some stupid-but-not-so-dangerous felonies. The guy next door to me had been high on drugs when he robbed a Monkey Joe's. Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing: what had he been high on? The girl on my right had been arrested for drunk driving and having road rage over a deer hitting her car. She had been screaming over its carcass when they found her.

I knew a lot about my neighbors, but mostly about the one who was living across from me....

"This is all your fault!" Allison hissed at me. "You betrayed me, you betrayed us! You brainwashed him into pretending to love you, and now look at where it's led us! You're going to regret doing this, Lucy, you're going to regret--"

Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. She ranted on like this all the time, never pausing for air or thought, but I had stopped listening to her after day two. It was the same things over and over again, and none of it was true. Sort of. I was just relieved that we weren't put in the same cell together, or else she would've ripped me limb from limb.

My stomach growled hungrily, and I grimaced. I stood up and walked over to my door, looking around for the jailer.

"Yo, Johnny!" I yelled. "Your favorite prisoner is in need!"