Chapter 12: An Old Friend

Kon'nichiwa! ♥ Sorry to leave all of you on a cliffhanger like that on the last chapter!  It's just that I needed to stop it there, so all of it would flow just right. c':  I hope you all like this chapter!  And woo, we get a twist in the story, haha!  Didn't expect to see this character coming up, did you?  I dedicate this chapter to LucyAshleyHeartfilia, b/c she incredibly amazing and such a great friend! ;w; Well, here you go!  I hope you all like it!  Feedback is always appreciated, and until next time!

яу-¢нαи,

тнє иαℓυ ωяιтєя χ

=======================================================================

"Luucyyy!"

Lucy's eyes had been half closed in tiredness, but when she heard Happy's voice, they snapped open.  Turning, Lucy saw Natsu appear through the bushes, looking around.  

When he spotted her, he grinned.  "Oi, there she is!"

"What're you guys doing here?"  Lucy asked.  "Did you find the cave?"

"We didn't, but Wendy did!"  Happy exclaimed, flying over to Lucy.

"That's great!"  Lucy exclaimed, relieved they had found it.  "We're almost there, then..."  Yawning, Lucy felt like she could sleep then.  Perhaps the tension of finding the caves had been weighing on Lucy's mind the most, restricting sleep.

Natsu walked over to her, and she looked up at him in surprise.  "What're you doin' all the way out here, Luce?  It took us awhile to find ya."

"Sorry, I hadn't realized I'd wandered so far."  Lucy replied, pulling up her knees to wrap her arms around them.

Natsu sat down next to her.  "Well, Erza wants us to go back..somethin' about sleepin'..."  He shrugged.

Lucy scoffed.  "You never listen, do you?"

"Only to you,"  Natsu said with nonchalance, leaning back on his hands.  "Since we're partners."

Lucy sighed, but was smiling slightly.  "I don't get you..."

There was a small silence.

"It's strange..."  Lucy murmured, and Natsu looked at her in surprise.  "As soon as you came, my stomach stopped hurting..."  She blushed slightly into her arms, obscuring her face slightly so Natsu couldn't see it.  "What's up with that..?"

Natsu grinned at her, while Happy climbed onto his shoulder.

"Lucy, you seem like you're nervous!"  Happy exclaimed, and Lucy looked at him in surprise.

"How in the world did someone almost as dense as Natsu figure that out..?!"  Lucy exclaimed quietly, making a surprised pose.

"Lucy's nervous?"  Natsu asked, confused.

Lucy sighed.  "My point was proven...But I guess you can say I'm nervous, Happy."

"What're you nervous for?"  Natsu asked, surprised.

"Multiple things."  Lucy explained.  "Specifically what's on the other side of the portal."

"Lucy's scared!"  Happy teased.

"Am not!"  Lucy exclaimed at the cat, her fist clenched.

"There's nothing wrong with bein' scared, Luce."  Natsu replied impassively.

Lucy sighed.  "I'm not scared, Natsu..I know I have my friends with me, but..I guess I feel kind of like a weight."

"A..weight?"  Happy murmured, confused.  Natsu had the same confused expression on his face.