Chapter 5: Gone from the world

Selena's POV:

9th December

I was excited about today. I got up from my bed. Even though my furniture had finally arrived, my room was still very empty. I inherited most of it from my parents and if I needed something else, it could take me months to save money for it. Do not even ask me how I get money; you do not want to know. However, the way I got money must be build up again. And that takes some time, which means no breakfast for a few months. Ugh. I walked downstairs and climbed through the boxes to get into the kitchen. I filled a little saucepan with water. I placed it on the stove and grabbed some coffee pads. I sighed. My mornings were the worst. I placed the cheap pad in a sieve, above a mug and poured the boiled water over it. I grabbed my phone, no messages. I played a stupid game while drinking my soiled coffee and waiting for the minutes to pass by. It would sound very desperate if I asked her if I could come earlier, but I was so bored at that moment. I was so afraid to sound desperate around her all the time, maybe because I never had a friend like her before.

I parked my cycle on the doorstep of America's largest house. Well, the biggest house I had ever seen anyway. My jaw dropped as I took off my helmet. This wasn't a house, this was almost a villa. Before heading off to the door I quickly gave a look to their garden behind the big wooden cube. It was full of flowers and it even had a pool. I hopped to the door and shyly ringed the doorbell. I looked at the walls under the awning. A cross hung next to the window. I looked at the suffering face of Jesus Christ. I didn't really know anything about religion, who knew what rituals it involved. The door finally got opened by Miss Demi herself. She smiled brightly and greeted. I had never seen her in her daily clothes. After the wrestling try-outs, she wore a jogging suit. Now, she wore a brown leather jacket with some blue jeans. With a white T-shirt and a necklace with a pendant in the shape of the moon. She wore more makeup than I was used to from her. Did she make herself up for me or did she look this pretty on a regular basis? I didn't even have makeup in my possession, too expensive for something I didn't need. I greeted back.

"Come on in. My mother already hoped you'd be in time. She fixed us some iced vanilla soy lattes." I widened my eyes. Such expensive drinks already. I stepped inside and looked around.

"Demi! You never told me you live in a huge house like this!" The floor and walls were polished white and the whole place was filled with old ornaments as carpets and swords. The place smelled like almond, just like Demi.
"My dad's a judge and my mother owns animal clinics." She walked with me to the living room.

"Ah! There you are!" A sweet woman in her 40's quickly walked towards me to give me 2 kisses on the cheeks. Her hair ended by her shoulders and she wore very dignified clothes.
"Nice to meet you I am Claudia, Demi's mother. Demi has been so excited about you visiting, she wouldn't stop talking about you." I felt my cheeks getting red, so did Demi's.
"Yeah, mom. You don't have to tell her that." She smiled.

"Oh, excusez moi. Sit down, honey, I made you some nice drinks." We sat down on the couch and Demi's mother brought a plate with 2 beautiful glasses of a red substance. Happily decorated with lemon slices and a herb. Demi immediately grabbed one and sat back.
"Thank you." I politely said and grabbed one, too.

"So, I thought about going to my room after these drinks." Demi said with a sour face after sucking on one of the lemon slices. I laughed.

"Ah, these are very ripe." She laughed too.

"I would love to."

I had to put off my shoes before heading upstairs. We ran up and Demi plopped onto her bed. I looked around. It wasn't anything like I expected. The wallpapers were dark purple with posters of Coldplay hanging on them. A box ball hung on the ceiling and desk stood in the corner, full of stuff. And in the other corner, a harp. I walked over to it. It was brown and fully made of wood. Different patterns were engraved into it.
"Do you find it pretty? " Demi curiously asked, while patiently waiting for me to finish observing her room. I nodded.