“She’s your friend too, Karen. You need to remember that. She doesn’t realize that what she’s doing is hurting you.” I tried to reason with her, but both of us knew that would have no affect on Karen whatsoever.

                Like I had predicted, she argued against me, “I’ve complained about that boy since the sixth grade! She knows I’d rather bathe in mud than be in the same room as him. How could she be so ignorant to that?”

                “I don’t know, Karen.”

                “I’m just so irked by this.”

                “I know.”

                She sensed that I was no longer sympathizing with her. Karen was good about that kind of thing. She knew when she was pushing the limitations on someone’s tolerance. There was only so much ranting I could handle from her.

                She dropped the topic, pulling out her phone to text her boyfriend. We stopped off at her first period classroom so she could drop her books off before we began to wander the hallways in search of her lover. My eyes scanned the passing people of their own accord as they searched for one particular person.

                Karen and I fell into an easy conversation revolving around the topic of our History teacher and her nasally voice. We walked around the hallways for a few minutes, undisturbed by anyone. No one we were searching for had shown up yet.

                An elbow to my gut caught my attention once more.

                “Look who it is.”

                I looked up toward the direction she was talking about. Lisa stood at her locker, searching through her books.

                I frowned, “Behave.”

                “I will. Can she?”

                “Karen, she hasn’t done anything to you.”

                “Avery—”

                “Lisa!” I cut her off, grabbing my friend’s attention. Karen was a drama queen. Ten minutes together and she’d be in love with Lisa once more.

                Lisa looked up curiously, recognition filling her face at the sight of us. She pulled out a book from her locker, shutting it. The text book was clutching tightly in her left hand as she walked over to meet us halfway.

                “Hey guys,” She smiled, “What’s up?”

                “Nothing. What’s that for?” I asked, pointing to the book in her hands. By my side, Karen stood with arms crossed and hips cocked.

                Lisa looked down briefly, “Oh this? I forgot to bring it home for Chem. I’m already failing. Reeves is riding my ass about getting my homework done.”

                “I can think of something else riding your ass.” Karen muttered barely audibly by my side. I subtly nudged her.

                “That sucks.” I frowned sympathetically for her. “Are you passing any of your classes this year so far?”

                She laughed, shaking her head. “Nope.”

                “Lisa!” I nagged.