Chapter 7: Under the Sky

Start from the beginning

Natsu watched Lucy's sleeping face as she struggled to fight the fever, seeing her turn her head as she stirred in her sleep.

"Natsu, Lucy isn't going to die, is she?"  Happy asked with a whimper.

Natsu grinned.  "Course not, Happy.  It's just a fever.  Even though that woman said it was a severe case, I doubt it's really bad.  Lucy'll be fine."

Happy's face brightened.  "Aye sir!"

Natsu yawned, having mixed feelings.  As he looked at Lucy again, he realized he wanted to stay with her for the rest of the night.  He didn't want anyone coming in and relieving him of sitting next to her.  But, he knew that's what his friends would do.

"Lucy really scared me, Natsu."  Happy replied, but Natsu didn't take his eyes off of Lucy.  "I thought she had drowned."

"Me too..."  Natsu murmured, his eyes softening.

Lucy had really given him a scare.  Natsu supposed that as soon as she went over the railing he was mostly confused, but when he realized something was wrong, adrenaline and - no matter how much he hated to admit it - fear plastered itself inside his chest.

He wondered if he would've gotten sea sickness while in the water, like he did on the way to the Infinity Clock.  If he hadn't have already taken another one of Lucy's pills, then he just might've.  But, Natsu was sure he wouldn't have.  If one of his friends was in danger, especially Lucy, he'd even push his motion sickness aside to save them.

After all, it's what he did for the people he cared about.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Natsu knew who had put the curse on Lucy to make her sick now; it was Loren and Lores.  Though, it didn't matter anymore.  They had been under a curse as well, so they were incapable of stopping themselves.  Besides, Natsu had forgiven them long ago.

Natsu felt tension build in his shoulders, and was prepared for anything.  He was on his feet, turning in circles to make sure nothing was behind, beside, or in front of him.  The sky was blue above his head, with puffy white clouds residing there as well.  Desciding to move, Natsu walked out of the small circle of ruins and out into the field, where the wind blowed his scarf around along with his hair and the tips of his clothes.  The tall green grass brushed against Natsu's calves, and he looked around, hanging onto his scarf.

What would he be fighting here?

_________________________________________________________________________________

"I don't like this,"  Gray started, growling low in his throat.

Everyone was crouded around the lacrima vision, watching as Natsu walked around puzzledly.

"What do you think Vallen's up to?"  Carla asked, being held by Wendy.

Lores narrowed his eyes, deep in thought.

Erza turned to Loren.  "Loren, do you have any idea what Vallen's going to give Natsu next?"

Loren sighed.  "As Lores and I told you, it could be anything.  We'll just have to wait and see."

"Actually,"  Lores started, "I think I know what's up next."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Natsu looked blunt and confused as nothing came; only the wind blew more frequently.  The scenery remained the same; everything seemed peaceful.  Why would Vallen take him here?  what was he supposed to do now?

All of the sudden, a giant claw appeared out of nowhere.  Natsu jumped out of the way just in time, landing on the ground and stumbling in surprise.  The ground exploded from the giant clawed-foot's impact, and dirt went up everywhere.

When he looked up, his eyes widened in shock.

A giant monster stood there; it was huge and serpent like, but had razor sharp canines - as long as Natsu's body - inside its snake-like mouth.  It was green, and it blended in with the grass with a white belly.  It had a single circle on the back of its neck, which was a bright red, the color of blood.  It hissed, a long pink tongue spitting out its mouth in a flash.

Slamming its tail against the ground, the earth shook violently and made Natsu grip the grass for balance.

"Great..."  Natsu grumbled.  "Now I have to take on Scaley!"

.

.

.

.

======================================================

The next challenge is revealed!  Natsu is just one step closer to coming face-to-face with Vallen, and to saving Lucy!

Stay tuned for the next chapter, Chapter 8: Natsu's Battle With the Serpent!

I hope you liked this chapter, please, give me your thoughts on it! c: