"You Cannot Do This"

(Her point of view)

Link's eyes find mine before falling down to my bloodied hand.

"Oh gods! Oh FUCK!" He cries out. Then, I hear a faint gasp emit from Loki whom still stands up by her head. I jolt up to my feet before moving down to the foot of the bed.

"Kendha, I need you to try to spread your legs. I need to examine you," I say, attempting to hide the worry in my voice. She slowly obeys, groaning as her legs move apart. Blood is practically gushing from between them. She lets out another cry through choked tears.

"Please, Christine! Please....help...me!" Her words tear through me. She is hemorrhaging. There is no other reason why she would be bleeding like this. I have seen them many times, but only with animals. And....they had all......passed away.

I take a quick breath in, attempting to calm myself. I must remain calm. I cannot let her know that I am scared. This will only make it more difficult for her.

I stand, letting my eyes fall onto my brother's tortured face. I take in a deep breath before attempting to speak as calmly as possible.

"Link, she is hemorrhaging. The placenta must have ruptured and is covering her cervix." He looks up at me as though I have just spoken a foreign language. I motion for him to come closer to me so that my words will not reach her ears. As soon as he is near enough, I chance speaking again.

"Link, we have to get the baby out as soon as possible, or....she will bleed to death."

The color drains from his face as he takes in my words. His eyes widen in terror.

"Christine, you have to help her! You have to stop the bleeding!" He whispers in a harsh tone.

"Link, there is nothing that I can do to stop it! Pregnancy is not an illness nor an injury! This is something beyond my power!" I answer in rising panic. He stares into my eyes, pleading through silent and unfallen tears. Then, he reaches and grabs for my shoulders, shaking me.

"Please, Christine. Do SOMETHING!" He is shouting at this point.

"Link! You know that I would if I could, but my power has limits!" I shout back. "I do not know that I could do anything, and even if I were to try, the energy that it would take would likely kill me!" He hangs his head, fighting back sobs. I feel Loki move to my side before he reaches up and places a hand on my shoulder. Mother reenters.

"Where is the doctor?!" Loki demands in question.

"He was out on a house call but is on the way now," she promptly responds.

"However, I fear that he may be too late. Christine, you shall have to deliver the child. You have the most experience with this." My eyes move to her face, finding that she is gazing at me with sympathy and worry. Kendha lets out another torturous scream. It reminds me of the screams that I let out when Sethos tortured me. My body goes rigid. No. There has to be a way that I can help her. There has to be. She is my sister. One of my dearest and most treasured friends. I cannot let her die. I may not be able to save her, but I have to try. I have to try....I may lose my life. But the sacrifice would be worth it.

I look to my brother again. He looks as if he is being burned alive as he watches his wife writhe in pain. She continues to clutch at her stomach.

"Please, Kendha. Hold on, please," he begs, moving back up to her side. I cannot let someone else die because of my weakness or my fear. I will NOT let her die! I have to try. Even if it kills me, I have to try! I cannot let another child die because I am too weak to save it.