Whispers

(His point of view)

I cannot sleep. I toss and turn under the covers, unable to find any sign of rest in my near future. Those green eyes continue to cloud my thoughts, so beautifully tormenting my every moment. I cannot stop thinking about her, about her story that she shared with me only last night. Nor can I stop thinking of this ongoing battle that is waging within my soul or the feeling of wanting to see her again; to feel her touch as she weaves her arm through mine or rests her head against my chest. I have to see here again before we leave out tomorrow.......But how? She is surely asleep by now and will likely still be sleeping when we leave at dawn.

Out of nowhere, an idea comes to mind, thus causing for me to quickly stand. I am a blur, tossing the covers away from my body. I throw on a shirt, some pants, and a cloak. Then, I quietly make my way through the darkened hallways until I am heading in the direction that will take me to my next destination. The gardens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am standing just down from the last step of the veranda, looking out over the lucious foliage. It is a cool summer night, breezy and fragrant. But being here without her seems so wrong. This only sends for my movements to become even more rapid as I immediately begin walking to my right. My heart is already thundering as I slither along the stone walls of the palace, aiming to where I know I must go next.

I walk until I am standing just below her balcony that looms high overhead. I close my eyes, channeling my power. When I reopen them, I find that I have transported myself up to her balcony. I am pleased to find that her doors are open wide, letting in the night air. The thick drapes hanging at their sides gently dance as the wind summons them to perform a slow waltz.

I move until I am hovering just at the entrance of her chambers. The only light that emits from her room is that of the fire that is burning dimly in her fireplace. As I creep just on the other side of the doors, taking my first few steps inside, I can easily make out her figure lying in her bed. As I dare to inch closer, I realize that I have not been in here since the night she had given me my now most precious treasure. My locket.

I immediately reach for it and graze my fingertips over its cool texture. My most precious, precious gift....

I continue to move noiselessly until I am standing but a few feet away from her bedside. She is lying with her face towards the fire's glow. The subtle light illuminates her features with a brilliant and breathtaking radiance. She looks so peaceful...like an angel that has wrapped itself in its wings and is cuddling itself into a soft, white cloud.

I can only stand and stare in a trance from her glorifying beauty. I am not aware of how long I stay in this same position, but eventually I find myself sitting on the bed at her side, listening to her slow and easy breathing. This beautiful woman is so perfect. I could stay here and watch her sleep forever.

I mentally burn the image of her calm expression into my mind, but suddenly, her breathing begins to shift as gasps emit from between her slightly parted lips. Her eyes are still closed, but they are now in a tight squint. She begins to jerk. Oh no. She is having a nightmare.

And somehow, I already know who it is that is filling her sleeping mind. Not because I assume, but because she has told me on more than one occasion that he still haunts her in her dreams.  Sethos.....

I do not wish to think of what he is doing to her in her nightmare. I only want more than anything to lunge myself forward and take her in my arms. I can feel her trembling as it vibrates through the bed beneath her. Oh what I would do to make you feel safe, Christine....