"It's A Secret"

(His point of view)

We are walking down to this "town" as Christine had put it. As soon as we emerse from within the palace's front gates, she says that instead of riding to the tavern, we can just walk, as it is really too close for a need of horses. And as we come to the large iron gates that give way to the bridge entering in, I see that she is right. The town is literally at the castle's feet. Not far at all.

"Welcome to Medina's Town Market," Christine says happily as we walk through the gates. She is smiling brightly as if the saddened events from earlier this afternoon never took place. Such a strong, forgiving person to be able to let it go so quickly.

However, I am still inwardly struggling with myself, angry that I had hurt her so.

As we walk into the village's entrance, I let my eyes wander, taking in this new sight. It is a small town, but quaint. The roads and pavements are that of pebbled stone. There are tall, dark lamp posts with flickering flames on every corner. The buildings are but a few stories tall with flower pots underneath the windows. There is a rather impressive sized bakery, and as we pass it, I can smell the scent of freshly baking bread. Its aroma is heavenly.

There is a blacksmith, a sewing shop, a small schoolhouse, a first aid building, a grocery, and even a small bank. Then, I see a decently sized medicine and herb shop. I remember Christine telling me that she loved to study things such as herbs and the like. Perhaps she will take me there some day soon.

The homes are petite for the most part, but well built and cheerful, very welcoming; each sufficiently lit with many candles within their window seals. People are bustling about, heading home from a long day's work, I'm assuming. Children are in the alleys playing and shouting. It is a very pleasant and happy place. And strangely enough, I feel as though I am drawn to it.

There is an ornately designed water fountain in the center of the town square, where I see a few smaller children standing with their parents, tossing coins in.

"Make a wish," I hear a man whisper into a little girl's ear before handing her a small coin. She tosses it, giggling loudly as she watches it spin through the air, making a small "ker-plunk" as it splashes into the water.

The sun has just set, leaving a cozy evening glow hovering over the rooftops. As we walk arm in arm along the pebble streets, I notice that people are stopping to bow to Christine as we pass. Everyone speaks to her, wishing her a pleasant evening or asking how she is faring. They also offer me warm smiles, speaking their hellos and wishings of a good evening. Here again, I am not regarded with grimaces or looks of hatred; only genuine kindness. She returns their bows with her polite nods, waving to them. I can see it in the people's eyes as they watch us move. They truly respect this woman at my side. They love her. And I can see it there in her eyes, too. She feels the same way about them. She will definitely make an excellent queen one day.

The idea of her one day becoming Queen brings me to yet another thought. However, it is an oddly unsettling one. She will have a King ruling at her side...walking with her through these pebbled streets, escorting her wherever it is that her heart desires......

He would surely be an unbelievably lucky man. Not only will he have a throne, but more importantly, he will...... have her......

But Link has not spoken of her courting anyone at present, nor has she. I take it, then, that she currently has no prospects. But this will not last. She is far too beautiful to stay unmarried for long.

A sudden wave of envy crashes into me. The thought of her being married to another man is deeply displeasing. Why?! After all, Loki, it's only a natural part of life; her getting married, having children of her own. Then why am I so bothered by this?