Chapter 13

Charles and Emily were sitting in my dad's office. Brody was still there, and Mom and Dad were looking at me. Drew was outside the door, begging to be allowed in, but Dad told him to just stay away from the door.

"So, are you going to start?" Dad had this amused look on his face, and I just looked away.

"Nathan?" Mom prompted me.

I shot a pleading look at Charles, who raised an eyebrow at me and smirked. I almost wondered if he'd sent Sean over in his place, because I'd seen that same look on Sean.

"Fine," I leaned back heavily on the couch. "Emily and I are a Matched Pair." Figured I'd start there.

"We know," Mom smiled at me.

"How?" I looked at both of my parents, then to Charles and Emily. She reached over and took my hand, thankfully.

"My grandparents were a Pair," Mom began. "There's usually two children born in my family that have something about them, for me it was you and Andrew. I also asked a friend of mine, who is a witch, which of my children would be special, and what they would show."

"Who?" Charles spoke up, looking at my mom.

"Yvette," Mom told him.

"Oh, I know her," Charles nodded. "I've known since we met you that you could read people, but I figured I'd allow you to approach me. Unfortunately, the day that Beth kissed Nathan, some things came to light. Not exactly the way I had hoped, but there they were."

"I could read that you were a witch, but like you just said, waited for you to come to me," Mom told him. "It didn't affect Nathan and Sean, so I figured there was no harm in you having your little secret. Outside of you being a witch, I didn't know what you did with your skills."

"Do you know about Sean?" Emily actually spoke.

"I do," Mom nodded. "And he is a fascinating boy indeed. I'd love to talk to him more about that."

"And you and Dad have no problem with this?" I looked at my parents. "Dad?"

"It was a bit weird for me at first, son. I will admit that," Dad cracked a smile at me.

"We're not telling you the whole truth," Emily spoke up again. "We're Collectors."

"Yvette said there was something else about you, but she couldn't figure out what," Mom smiled.

Charles took the lead and explained, so they finally understood why Brody was there. I kept watching them, and I admit I dipped into their heads a bit to listen in. They accepted me. Totally accepted me for what I was and what I could do. That was the biggest relief I thought I'd ever experience. My bad day was totally resolved. Even when I poured out what Emily and I had over heard from Beth and Lauren.

"I think you've figured out that you're not sensitive to Ipecac," Charles laughed.

"Nathan, I was waiting for you to spill it then," Dad looked at me. "I knew what was going on, and called Charles. He said we'd have to cover things up, that's why he was there."

"More secrets," I interrupted before they could say any more.

"So, Drew is super strong, huh?" Brody spoke up for the first time.

"Yes, I am," Drew finally opened the door and came in. "I could kick your butt."

I held him still with my mind. "You can try. I'll win."

"How come the Crown Prince gets to be so special?" Drew struggled against me.

"Because of me," Emily leaned against me.