Chapter 11

Charles wasn't pleased to hear about the slender man sighting. He told us, however, that he and his circle would handle it. I felt bad, we had these kick ass powers, and were reduced to being judges over supernatural squabbles. Possibly using them to keep peace in our court, but I wanted to be out hunting this fucking thing down, killing it. At least doing something to help. Sean and Emily laughed. They told me to get used to it, that Charles was a take charge kind of man, and that Emily was still his baby. I almost laughed at that, since he was going to let me live with her for her senior year of high school. But, I did see that they had a point.

The week of homecoming is always a zoo at school. They do all these pep rallys and you can dress up different ways. A lot of people take advantage of it, we get to be out of uniform, but I don't do it. Emily did, and she looked cute, but I thought it was stupid. Mostly I stayed grumpy because the football team strutted around like they owned the place. If they were any good, they'd have a reason to strut like that, but they sucked. The soccer team was undefeated. Yeah, we didn't get along with each other very well.

On Friday, they took the homecoming court outside to practice walking around on the field. Yet another dumb thing if you asked me.

"What is wrong with you?" Emily asked as we walked toward the football field. "You've been in a bad mood all week."

"I just hate this stuff," I gestured at the field.

"I could still ask Sean, I'm sure he remembers what to do," she looked so sad.

"It's not really this stuff," I sighed and stopped her. "It's the feeling like my hands are tied thing. I wish your dad would let us help."

"After the game, we'll talk to him again," Emily pulled me into a hug. It's like she can read my mind and just know when I want her to touch me.

"Oh, my god!" I recognized the voice as Ryan's. "Break it up you two!"

"You escorting Jessica?" I took Emily's hand and we fell into step with Ryan.

"Yeah," Ryan got this look on his face like he didn't want to talk about it. Jessica was friends with Lauren and Beth. We were a bit irritated with him for dating her, but thought we were doing our best to keep that hidden from him.

"They let anyone on the court don't they?" Jessica looked right Emily when she said it. I guess some of Beth's friends were still angry.

"Yep, they sure do, I mean, look at you," Emily wasn't taking the bait. Great.

"Ems," I warned.

"You have a problem?" Jessica stepped closer to Emily. This wouldn't end well, because I knew Emily wouldn't have an issue using her powers.

"Nope, just that some people can't mind their own business about whom certain people date," Emily crossed her arms, like she was bracing herself.

"Jess, knock it off," Ryan grumbled. He'd confided to Brody that if Jessica wasn't so good in bed, he'd have broken up with her already. Yeah, Brody had let that little tidbit slip to me. I should probably keep that to myself.

"I will not!" Jessica rounded on him. "These two have gotten Beth into so much trouble."

"God, that's it," Ryan exhaled hard and looked at her. "I've warned you several times. I'll escort you for this, but we're done. Seriously done. Don't call me, don't anything."

"Ryan," Jessica looked close to tears.

"Is there a problem?" Mrs. Bruce, the teacher who coordinated this thing walked up.