Chapter 6

Brody's birthday party was going to be our first official outing as a couple. Emily kept reminding me of that otherwise I wouldn't have even thought of it. I was just looking forward to the party and seeing some of our other friends that we hadn't seen much over the summer.

Emily and I did, however, buy Brody a pretty epic birthday present: tickets to the sold out soccer tournament that was in DC. Gotta take care of your Keeper, right?

Apparently Brody's mom had this huge thing planned for him. Emily was looking forward to the party more than I was. I know she texted Maddy and Marc constantly asking for advice on what to wear and all that other girly type stuff. I preferred when she was worried about soccer games more. I ignored my sister when she was like this, and now I had a girlfriend. Yeah, that was the part I wasn't that crazy about, the rest of it was awesome though.

"Is she ready?" I asked as I walked into the house.

"I have no idea," Sean responded. "What's up with us having to wear more than shorts and tshirts?" He was in a pair of khakis and a polo, so was I. "Glad you did the pool party thing."

"I aim to please," I turned toward the stairs because it sounded like Emily was coming. "Are you about to go pick up Lindsey?"

"Yeah," Sean nodded. "See you guys there?"

"Yep," I smiled when I saw Emily. She was wearing a little black dress, and she twirled around for me and the skirt part almost went out a bit too far. "You look great."

"Thanks," she stopped and kissed me on the cheek.

"Let's go," I slipped an arm around her waist and led her out to the car.

Part of me didn't want to go to the party after all, I wanted to just hang out her house with her. I was selfish, I knew that. As long as she stayed with me, I'd be fine.

Once we were at the country club, we both felt like we should check in with Brody. He was standing in a corner not looking very happy. The place wasn't really decorated, it just looked like it normally did. My parents were members, and had brought me to functions here. There was a DJ set up in the opposite corner of where Brody was standing and some people were dancing already. The food tables were pretty heavy with offerings, and the bar was serving up sodas.

"What's wrong?" Emily asked him when we got close enough. I knew he could feel our emotions, but I think we could feel his too.

"Broke up with Lauren today," he reached out and hugged Emily.

"Why?" I was shocked.

"Because her friend, Beth, has it pretty bad for you," she looked right at me. "And I told Lauren that you were going out with Emily now. Apparently I needed to talk you out of that, and talk you into going out with Beth."

"I hate Beth," I shook my head. Beth Froeman was the same age as me and one of the meanest girls at our school. She'd been a bully since elementary school, and even if I wasn't Matched with Emily I wouldn't have gone out with her. "I avoid her whenever possible."

"It got pretty ugly," Brody admitted. "She got pretty pissed that I wouldn't side with her on this. You've been my friend since what, kindergarten? We won't even get into anything else." Yeah, he couldn't break me and Emily up, and he was our Keeper, blah, blah, blah. It was in his job description to keep us together and safe. "I don't like her either. I wouldn't wish her on Xander even."

"I'm sorry I lost you a girlfriend," Emily looked really sad, so I put my arms around her from behind.

"Ems, she and I were only going out for like six months," Brody shrugged. "It wasn't anything serious. We'd not had sex or anything else like that. Don't worry about it."