Chapter 8

"Did she sleep?" Brody asked when he saw me leaning against my car. I was waiting for Emily, just like I did every morning.

"Finally," I nodded. "She said she'd been having bad dreams, that thing doing things to me, you, and Sean."

"It's called slender sickness," Brody glanced around to make sure no one would listen in, there were a lot of people milling around in the parking lot, so anyone could have heard. "I just shielded us," he gave me a look. "It's an affect of being too close to a slender man. Nightmares, could cause hallucinations. Anyway, we're going to be dealing with it after school. I may not have the same bond to her you do, but I'm the only person who can really understand your bond, because mine to the two of you is pretty strong."

"That's weird," I admitted.

"Yeah, well," Brody just shrugged. "I guess I can see us as triplets or something."

"I guess she's our girl, not just mine, huh?" I looked at him and he nodded.

Before he could say anything else, we noticed Beth walking toward us. I guess Brody dropped the shield he had, because she made it to me. I was expecting more of her crap of asking me out or flirting or just generally ignoring the fact I had no interest in her and was dating Emily. So when she grabbed me and kissed me, I was beyond shocked.

As soon as her lips touched mine I became nauseous. I pushed her away, staggered out from my car, and threw up. I knew it was because someone who wasn't Emily kissed me so I had to think fast. "What did you do to me?" I staggered back and was happy to discover that Emily had come up behind me. Her arms went around me, and I found the comfort I knew was there.

"I didn't do anything," Beth's eyes widened.

"Right, so I guess guys always puke when they kiss you?" I started to wipe at my lips.

"Don't," Emily whispered. "Call Dad."

"I'm going to have to call my dad about this," I looked back over at Beth. "You did something to me."

"Nate, I swear," she walked closer.

"Beth, you should stay away from him," Sean walked closer. "Enough people out here saw what happened."

I had to call my dad. In a way, I hated that Beth would get in trouble, but our secret couldn't get out. Emily started pulling me toward the building as I took my phone from my pocket. "Dad," I dreaded this phone call. "You may want to come down to the school. Beth Froeman grabbed me and kissed me then I threw up. Yeah, I'll go right there. Bye."

"Principal's office?" Emily asked.

"Yep," I put my phone away. "How are you?"

"I'll live," she had her arm linked with mine. "Let's get this mess taken care of, then worry about me."

I sighed, but I knew she was right. Sean and Brody were behind us, and we made our way to the principal's office. I repeated what had happened, and they made me sit down. Sean, Emily, and Brody were told to go to class, and I reluctantly let Emily go. She had to kiss me on the cheek, and I hated that. I sat in one of the chairs, and Beth was led in. I didn't even look at her, but she kept trying to tell me she hadn't done anything.

The bell for first period rang, but I was told to stay where I was. It wasn't long until Dad walked in with Charles. I should have known. They'd been best friends almost as long as Sean and I, and I know this was Charles' way of protecting the secret.

"James, I don't think we're going to need to involve lawyers," Mr. Phillips, the principal said when Dad walked in. I saw Beth look like she wanted to have the floor swallow her.