Chapter Thirteen Luke Skywalker

Snoke was nowhere to be found. However, that was the only disappointment in the battle. While there were some losses to the Rebel forces, the heavier losses were definitely on the First Order's side. Having crushed the majority of their forces, the Rebels left the battle proudly.

Now, however, that the glorious feeling of victory had cleared away, Luke found himself feeling more confused than ever. He stood at the window when a frantic Leia rushed toward him. "Luke. Mira is here. They can't find Kya. They're worried sick."

He had a feeling he knew where she might be, but he wasn't sure he was ready to go to her just yet. Not now.

Leia sensed it, he knew. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"We did great, Luke. We won. The First Order is destroyed. You should be celebrating your victory, not standing here alone like this."

Luke didn't dare respond. He knew she would find exactly what he felt in but a moment, when she would sense it. She studied his face. "You know where Kya is, don't you?"

Luke nodded silently.

A pause. Then Leia watched him. "You love her. That's why you won't go find her. Because—"

"You're getting really good at that."

"What?"

"Getting inside my head, finding out what's bothering me without me ever telling you."

"Don't change the subject," she scolded him. "You know where Kya is. Now go to her. I don't understand why you can't just tell her you love her and move on."

He turned to look at her wide-eyed. "Are you serious? Leia, everything I'm feeling is wrong. It's weakness. It's against the rules—I can't. I can't..."

He didn't have to say anything more. She already knew. She gently took his arm and put it around her own shoulder, leaning into him. The embrace was comforting. "I know, Luke. But what your feeling isn't going to change. Even if you let her go, and leave her alone, you will always love her. That won't change. The fear for her won't change. Everything they said, making love out to be some kind of evil—It doesn't stop you or anyone from loving. You might as well just enjoy it while it lasts. It doesn't always."

With that she extracted herself from his grip and left him alone, considering her words.

She was right he knew. Usually her being right meant he had to mend a mistake. But now, it meant him obeying his heart.

She was alone, exactly where he had thought she was. Standing at the cliff side with the waterfall where he had shown her the peace and harmony of the world. She gazed out silently, holding both arms at her chest. The sun was setting beneath that horizon now, staining the land with pinks and oranges.

"I knew you would come," she said suddenly without turning to look at him.

He said nothing a moment. "I figured you'd be here." He took a deep breath, mentally preparing himself, and then approached her, reaching forward to touch her shoulder.

She abruptly turned away. "I'm leaving."

He stopped. "What?"

"I'm leaving soon, Luke. I'm going away, someplace far from here. It's what is best for both of us."

"What? No."

"Do you think I can just stay here?" she said with sudden passion. "I can't. I can't do it. It will be better for us both of we are apart."

He was silent. Then he started forward again. "Kya—"

"Stop," she said and her voice broke. He pulled back again staring at her. She refused to meet his eyes. "I know what you're going to say, and I don't think I'm ready to hear it."

"Well you need to Kya. You can't leave. We need you here. I need you here."

She looked up at him wide-eyed. "No. No, this can't be happening."

"What? Why is this so upsetting to you?" He seized his shoulders. "Kya Kenobi, I care for you. More than I should."

"Luke! I don't believe what I'm hearing!"

"Why not?"

"Luke, stop!" She practically shouted, trembling. A tear slid down her cheek. "I can't do this."

"I thought you felt something for me, too."

She looked at him. "Of course I do. I do, Luke." She said it almost involuntarily.

He stared at her, and both were still. Then he reached forward gently and pulled a strand of her dark hair out of her eyes before leaning forward, closing the space between them. For the first time she didn't resist, but stood very still. At last his lips brushed hers.

The feeling was warmth and peace. Belonging. And then she pulled away, shaking her head. "No, Luke, we can't do this."

"Why not? We both love each other, don't we?"

She nodded slowly. "Yes. But...you're a Jedi, Luke. This can't happen."

"Pretending I don't love you wont make it true."

"Luke." She said it carefully, but her voice began breaking again as her tears threatened to surface once more. "No."

She began to cry ever so softly. "You are the only one who ever gave me...you...all my life, I felt censored. Lonely. Apart. Because my mother decided that I was a Sith in the making, and doted on my sister at all times. I've never had a real family. And then..." She smiled weakly. "And then I met you. And you...you were the first person to think of me as good. I'll never forget you for that, or for giving me a brother and sister. Han and Leia...and someone to love. You."

"Kya..."

"And then I saw myself, Luke. I was becoming the very thing I had feared because of Snoke. Yesterday he twisted my mind, manipulated me. And I was ready to kill. And then I heard your voice." She closed her eyes. "You saved me. But I am dangerous. I am."

"Kya, you're not dangerous."

"We can't be together Luke. That you need to understand."

"Because of the rules?"

"Yes!" Kya looked at him earnestly. "I will not be the person to keep you from your destiny."

"My destiny?" Luke asked. "It's with you. Every moment needs to be with you."

"The rules—"

"Shutting you out won't make me stop loving you, Kya."

She hesitated. He sensed her barrier coming down. "But...what if..."

"No what ifs."

She stood still, staring at him in shock and disbelief. He reached forward and took her hand. She didn't pull back. "Don't go, Kya," he said softly.

She gazed up at him before a small smile formed at her lips. "You couldn't make me stay away."